Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

aargh!!!! ANACS is killing me

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
ANACS was accepting submissions at a local coin show earlier this month. I submitted 5 coins to them. I mainly wanted to get a Roman Republic coin checked for authenticity. Paul Joseph, the ANACS rep there said the coin should come back AU53 to AU58. ANACS graded it EF45!!!! The other four coins were Canadian Large Cents that were purchased from jfoot13 and submitted because I needed 5 coins for the submission. They graded two of the Canadian cents AU58 (ouch) and two MS63. Images when I get the coins back in about 10 days.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U.S. coin grading is 99% laughable to the ancient coin community. It really cant be relied on nor is it used by them.

Many conditions play a part in grades for ancients. Many ancients have left their mint in what would be considered Fine or less.

So dont think its a big let down. 9 x outta 10 the slab is cracked out and the coin is back in its raw form. image
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Indeed. When buying ancients my only two major concerns are authenticity and eye appeal. There are a select few dealers I buy from almost exclusively, and they are open to me bringing in other finds to ease any concerns I may have regarding authenticity.

Actually I lied, I have three concerns. The third is not spending too much money on all the great ones I find image The big show is in town in a couple weeks and I have far too much dry powder looking to be spent.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    One of the Canadian Large cents has the three "8"s in 1888 repunched.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to read this did not go as planned- Canadian Large Cents can be tough-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>One of the Canadian Large cents has the three "8"s in 1888 repunched. >>

Did they mention the repunched date on the slab?
  • Options

<< <i>Did they mention the repunched date on the slab? >>

I believe they did. I haven't received the coins back yet but the grades online said

<< <i>5104468 1888 1C CANADA REPUNCHED DATE 63 10/31/2012 >>

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    Don
    I will be more than happy to repurchase those coins plus the cost of your grading. I just got home from the PAN show last night ( I was going to check out a collection from a guy there but got caught in some West Virginia snow and got tied up for a few days ) A lot of coins are a toss up in that AU58-MS63 area. I've gotten back coins, beautiful mint state coins with dull spots from being in contact with old flips graded AU58. I don't have my sales slips in front of me right now but if memory serves me correctly you purchased the coins in 2 seperate purchases but the total was less than the value of the 1888 large cent variety in MS63.

Please PM if you are unhappy in anyway with those coins ( LOL to be honest I did have a tinge of sellers remorse at the prices I let them go )
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    oops! meant to be a PM

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel your disappointment! ANACS will tell you the opinions at shows are not guarantees the coin will actually grade that. I showed them an 1881 S Morgan with beautiful toning and they told me it was a lock 65. I submitted it and a few more coins at the show and it came back 63! Talk about disappointment! I ended up cracking it and submitting it to PCGS and got a 65. Sometimes, I think they don't look at the coins long enough to see them! image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Don - Depending on the dates, I might be interesing in buying the 58's. Feel free to to PM me. - Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I feel your disappointment! ANACS will tell you the opinions at shows are not guarantees the coin will actually grade that. I showed them an 1881 S Morgan with beautiful toning and they told me it was a lock 65. I submitted it and a few more coins at the show and it came back 63! Talk about disappointment! I ended up cracking it and submitting it to PCGS and got a 65. Sometimes, I think they don't look at the coins long enough to see them! image >>

ICCS here in Canada used to grade coins verbally at shows but stopped doing this as the grade would differ when submitted for a cert.

Verbal grades should be taken just as that.....'verbal' only and holding no long term merit.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)