Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Blacksmith token Wood 33 Arrived...new photos

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
The adventure begins with the arrival today of Canadian Blacksmith Token Wood 33. This is the most common piece in the series and I'd guess thousands exist. Possibly struck in England, or some suggest Vermont...but probably not Canada for this Variety. Very nice smooth planchet looking much better than the lousy planchets of the Vermont mint, the coin would no doubt blend in very well with the various halfpenny sized coins and tokens then in circulation. The obverse legend is quite confusing, Howland Wood interpreted it as GLORIOVS III . VIS. But on examination of the macro photo here shows a distinct difference between the first O and the second, which to me seems like a U , making the legend read GLORIUVS III. VIS. , which fully fits into how they made these to read as nonsense. Made to look old and worn , especially on the reverse, the detail was never there, it has not worn off. Various interpretations of the reverse legend are BRTIT or BITIT, the serif details offering no help and in fact some seem like the serif has been added on The item held by the reverse figure is a Shamrock. The coin weighs 92 grains is 26.3 mm in diameter and struck exact coin turn. When you take into account how these pieces are graded..........I'm going to call this "choice VF". image. Though I have not read of any indication of this piece being dated there DOES appear to be a very shadowy trace of 17?? Where the date should beimage. It is thought the edges of the die itself were filed down to "confuse" the exact ledgend ( these ARE counterfeits)image. What DOES it say? The serifs give little clue image

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alas, something so unusual and esoteric this learned forum is left scratching their headsimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file