Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who are the most famous Modern players (played during the last 25 years) from Indiana...

Who are the most famous Modern players (played during the last 25 years) from Indiana... that played on either an Indiana College team or Pro/Semi-Pro team.

These are my choices with their respective Rookie cards:

Baseball

Indianapolis Indians - 1989 Upper Deck Randy Johnson PSA 10 pop 2401

Basketball

Indiana State Sycamores - 1980/81 Topps Scoring Leader Bird/Erving/Johnson PSA 9 pop 444

Football

Indianapolis Colts - 1998 SP Authentic Peyton Manning PSA 9 pop 435

Hockey

Indianapolis Racers - 1979 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky PSA 8 pop 470

This is a quasi-duplicate thread... I've made changes based on your feedback from the previous thread and added what I believe to be their most desirable Rookie cards.
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Not sure on the rules, but Evansville's Don Mattingly's 1984 topps card would be a better choice than the UD big unit.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Not sure on the rules, but Evansville's Don Mattingly's 1984 topps card would be a better choice than the UD big unit. >>

Not sure if Mattingly will ever make it into the Hall of Fame?
  • Options
    Not sure if Mattingly will ever make it into the Hall of Fame?

Not as a player but he might as a manager
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Drew Brees would have to be near the top as well (Purdue).
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure on the rules, but Evansville's Don Mattingly's 1984 topps card would be a better choice than the UD big unit. >>

Not sure if Mattingly will ever make it into the Hall of Fame? >>

Even if he doesn't, he still more famous than Randy Johnson.

Tabe
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    If you're talking strictly "fame" then you could probably make a strong case for Bob Uecker who played for both Evansville and Indy. Maris also played for the Indy Indians in 1956 (he's probably more "famous" than Mattingly or The Big Redass), as did Harmon Killebrew in 1958, Nap Lajoie in 1918, Gabby Harnett in 1942, Grover Cleveland Alexander was an Indian for a day until hearing of his double vision issues and believing that Galesburg had been too anxious to let him go, promptly sold him to Syracuse. Then you have guys like Carlton Fisk and Frank Thomas who played for the South Bend (White Sox) affiliate on rehab assignments.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Hank Aaron - Indianapolis Clowns, 1952 Negro League Champions
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    You certainly can't forget Razor Shines and Shooty Babbitt, both members of the 1984 champion Indianapolis Indians team.

I'm disappointed that at least one other board member hasn't mentioned this.
  • Options
    Holler at me, dog!
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Holler at me, dog! >>

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to find an image of Shooty in the Indy uniform. Near as I can tell, there be none on the whole World Wide Web.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Bird, Manning and Gretzky made Joe Orlando's Top 250; Johnson, Mattingly and Brees didn't make his list. Looks like there's no Top 250 Modern Indiana Baseball player. image
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hank Aaron - Indianapolis Clowns, 1952 Negro League Champions >>

Well played...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658