Home U.S. Coin Forum

Exceptional 1943-S nickels?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
Recently examined a truly exceptional 1943-S nickel. Consulted with an expert on Jeffersons, and he says he has seen a few really mark-free Proof-Likes over the years. The piece I examined was not Proof-Like at all, just well-struck with very clean surfaces.

Is anybody aware of any occasion for which the S.F. Mint might have prepared exceptional nickels in 1943?

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭
    Not 43-S nickels Tom, but I well recall seeing a group of 43-S cents that belonged to the dealer I worked for in high school, each was an amazing cameo prooflike example. Similar circumstances of production to these nickels?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be. Did we have somebody in the SF Mint making coins for collectors?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file