Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone here know something about die numbers on Vicky shillings? (Pictures added in first post)

Found an 1878 with die number 73...can't find it anywhere listed but don't have many resources on these. Anybody does?

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    They used die numbers for a few years, I think around 1864-79 or so. No real information on numbers of each, and as far as I know not many (if any at all) collect them by die number so no added value for specific die numbers.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    There are only a few die numbers that do have a premium associated with them, but for special reasons where the value of the die number is just coincidental.

Sixpences of 1878 with die number 6 (DRITANNIAR) or 30 (8 over 7) certainly have a high premium. The presence of the die number is an added safeguard against fakes.

Shillings of 1866 (BBITANNIAR) have die number 63.

Interestingly, sixpences of 1866 with no die number carry a big premium.

I have seen a few others specially mentioned, but not by the most credible sources.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever seen the 1866 BBITANNIAR shilling? Not I.
    Also, there are some different "head of" designations for the 1878 and 1879 shillings with and without die number that I can not remember. DNW had some for sale 10 or so years ago.

Rob sometimes on these boards may be an expert in these matters??....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die numbers are on Florins as well

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ... used on sovereigns of the time as well.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I added pictures in the first post. The number is not listed on the website Mac linked to. No idea as to grade, value or how to sell, as any advice is welcomeimage