Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Topps Carlton Matthews Blank Back Errors. Value??

Any idea how rare these are and the value?

Wrong picture in small box at bottom left corner on each card with blank back.

Thanks in advance

image[/IMG]

image[/IMG]

image[/IMG]

Comments

• Options
    Not rare at all. Blank backs are common unless you received them from the Topps Vault as a proof.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    This guy says the Carlton is extremely rare, and he sold one for $89. link
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Advanced" collectors might be interested, but if PSA isn't grading them, (they refused to grade some wrong backs I sent in) interest will be limited as they can't be added to Master Sets.

However, if you can get them graded, star players would go for good money.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not your common blank backed card IMO.

Nice item.

Is there a Mattingly, Rose etc?

Good for you.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Gents:

Those are 1984 Topps "Encased" cards. Al Richter is one of the resident experts on those. I think all "singles" were cut down from sheets.

Al posted a picture of his uncut sheet across the street.

Pretty rare -- cropping differences on most cards on the sheet, with the obvious errors between the Mathews and Carlton cards.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    I have listed BIN OBO on eBay what's a fair price for each?
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have listed BIN OBO on eBay what's a fair price for each? >>

I'll sell as a pair

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking that too. Any idea how much? >>

It doesn't appear as you have a lot invested in them, I'd list the pair at $99 BIN or Best Offer & see what happens

Good Luck

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Putting a BIN on a rare item like that can be a bad idea. You might be leaving money on the table. Who knows, the guy that bought the Carlton for $89 might have been willing to pay $300 for it.

Unless you're in a big hurry for $$$, I'd auction them starting at $100 each. At least give yourself one chance for a bidding war. You can always lower the price or add a BIN if they don't sell.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I agree- put 'em up as a pair on a 7 day auction with a high start. If it gets no bids, do it again.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    As Marc mentioned these are proof cards and not blank backed errors. They are from the A sheet, but are not proofs of the 1984 set itself. They may have been pre production sheets from a design Topps changed for the final set. The main difference from the 1984 regular cards is that the inset photo is "encased" or completely in the box as opposed to extending beyond it. They are sometimes referred to as the 1984 "Encased" set or the "Head in the Box" set. The 2011 SCD Standard catalog lists the set ( 66 cards) at $ 800 in top condition and an uncut sheet at $ 650. Because most are hand cut from sheets they sometimes have odd borders or light surface wrinkles. SCD in 2011 listed the Carlton $ 150 and the Mathews at $ 75, but those prices are , like for most off beat sets, pretty subjective.

They show up on ebay regularly but are not common, and putting the set together one card at a time is difficult. These along with the Topps 85 Minis are in my view the two toughest Topps sets of the 80s.

The Carlton and Mathews are up on ebay now, maybe by the OP ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al