Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

VCP and Star Co cards...

Why does VCP not record sales for Star Basketball? They regularly sell on eBay and through other auction outlets. The cards are graded through one if the major grading companies. I would think VCP would track these. There are recorded sales for so many odd ball cards yet here is a fully licensed product that has no tracking.

Between no PSA and no VCP it just seems like Star just gets zero love! Shame because these are amazing cards.

Comments

• MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I collect mainly vintage baseball but I agree completely that Star Basketball from back in the day should get way more love-- though there is clearly a passionate collector base for them.

As I researched these cards recently, I was shocked to learn how much false/exaggerated information was out there about them.

Here is a good website that discusses Star cards for anyone interested...

http://www.jordancards.com/blog/12-02-25_84-85-star-101-xrc-or-true-michael-jordan-rookie-card.php

• hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>I collect mainly vintage baseball but I agree completely that Star Basketball from back in the day should get way more love-- though there is clearly a passionate collector base for them.

As I researched these cards recently, I was shocked to learn how much false/exaggerated information was out there about them.

Here is a good website that discusses Star cards for anyone interested...

http://www.jordancards.com/blog/12-02-25_84-85-star-101-xrc-or-true-michael-jordan-rookie-card.php >>

Thanks for link. Great info and a fun read.

Clickable Link
    Hook'em
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Glad you dug it, Hookem. I was really impressed with how thorough and articulate a discussion it was, especially as it pertained to the Jordan Star RC.

In my opinion that Star Jordan RC and the Bird/Magic are massively undervalued. Both are tough to find in primo
    condition. I can see big runs on those cards in years to come-- especially that Jordan. Looking at the overall pop reports of the Star vs the Fleer was enlightening to say the least.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

I always think they are the hobbys best kept secretimage.I have love for the star rc's myself.I really want a signed one but
    we will see how long that takes.Thats a great link by the way,thanks.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • I haven't tracked prices very closely, but it seems like Star has really come back in the last few years.

-I.e. a few hundred dollars for a 9 Dominique rookie. The major rookies....drexler, wilkins, stockton, barkley, etc all seem to be solid. I've noticed smaller dollar cards selling lately....i.e. tom chambers 1984.

Right now on ebay completed auctions, 84 Star Bird $300, $200 for a Drexler, Mint Julius Erving $60. $30 for a Kurt Rambis.

I agree, they are amazing cards. If PSA had graded these cards legitimately for the last 10-12/13 years (with no interruptions or breaks), the 9's and 10's would be very valuable. I think it also would have helped the unopened bag market.

People would have a clear choice, either grade them or keep them sealed. I wish the whole market would have gotten legitimate.