Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German Coinage

Is there a decent reference for German Coins that addresses surviving population?

It seems that there are some wide spreads as to values that do not appear to be mintage related- but is predicated on surviving population

As an example- look at the German Empire Mark and 1/2 Mark coins in Krause and it seems that there should be a story behind some of these dates as to why the value is what it is. Obviously, its about surviving population, but some dates that one would think would not be as rare seem to have a higher value- example- a 1909 A Mark has a cat value of 300 and a mintage of over 4 million and a 1902 G has a mintage of under 300,000 and the value is not that much more-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinkat, try
    Moneytrends.at.
    it is a Austrian vbased publication and carries every Austrian, Swiss and German coin made between 1871 and now. some even further back.
    the publisher, Volker Weege, is very accessible and extremely knowledgeable.
    Your answers may lie there...
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Coinkat, my catalog shows the 1 Mark 1902G at $800 and the 1909 A at $200, 4x the price. Mine is the 3rd Ed. German Coins form 1601-Present. I also use the pop reports, they are not absolutely accurate but tend to give a reasonable approximation of comparitive scarcity, for example NGC shows 3 of the 1902 G and 18 of the 1909 A. It doesn't work with lower grade coins (because most of them don't get graded) but on most higher grade stuff it seems to be a reasonable way to determine relative scarcity.
  • Options
    simple, go to
    MA-shops.com
    and enter your data.. it is one of the most up to date list, representing over 300 dealers. They all make deals..
    the site is in English
    you will find the proper pricing for your coins. But you will not find answers to your questions. there, go to Money trends and ask..
  • Options
    lets be realistic, KM is way, way out to lunch... or whatever.
    IMO, only to be used as reference. NOT as a price guide.
    although, European auctioneers do...and sometimes get it.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Yes, KM seems to be way to low on the stuff I collect. In the September /October auctions most of the 18th C. talers in MS64 and up went for many multiples of KM prices.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies-

Unfortunately, I really did not start this subject in a compelling manner-

With US coins, it seems that there are reference materials that can be found that address rarities and surviving poulations. For example, Morgan Dollars have been fairly well researched and a date by date analysis exits and there is a rationale behind the surviving population. Other works have been done for other series.

One can easily see catalog values for German coins in Krause and other publications, including auction catalogs and in my mind all the dots are not well connected in terms of surviving population and even condition rarity.

The example I used to start this thread was a horrible example because it was done from memory instead of having the coins and Krause in front of me at the time I started- I should have compared the 1905-G to the 1909-A. But that is just one simple example and there are others- one such example is the 1931-G Oak Tree 5 M- None have been graded in MS by PCGS- The mintage is over 1.7 Million- were these just not released and melted? How many really survived and exist today?- Krause has the UNC value in the 950 range and over 1000 in BU. So without having a handle on the surviving population, what would be a reasonable value? Other dates in this series catalog in the 300-500 range with similar mintage figures.

I have elevated the question here because certain coins really seem to be difficult- perhaps the interest is more in type sets than in date sets

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkat,
    you probably do know that German and other European collectors do not appreciate slabs. They want to hold the coin and feel it.
    hence, the POP report can not be accurate at all. Can not even be a indicator.
    I know German collectors who do buy a coin in a slab but will break it out immediately.
    On the other hand, I do know of 3 German dealers who have their "spies" buy slabbed German coins in the USA and ship them back to Germany and, you guessed it, liberate them into the raw.
    And I know of at least one dealer (one of the 3) who buy US raw coins ind Europe and have them slabbed by mainly PCGS in the US and sell them on FeeBay.
    as to population reports? here is what I would do : I would contact Volker Weege.... For sure, he can send you in the right direction.
    There must be a source from where they get their info. As mentioned, Volker is easy to chat with.