Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tells How knowledgeable Dealer I am, I bought a 1954 Baseball Topps set and

Couldn't find the Mantle in it image

Pics to follow

Comments

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Probably a good thing you didnt find the Sports Illustrated 54 Mantle in the set. Also won't find him in the 55 Topps set..Bowman/Topps feud.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I think it was sent to me by mistake . . .

• Options
    Nice looking set. One time when I sold one of these sets to a dealer he accused me of pulling the Mantle in an attempt to rip him off. You are mostly a coin dealer so you are excused image
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice looking set. One time when I sold one of these sets to a dealer he accused me of pulling the Mantle in an attempt to rip him off. You are mostly a coin dealer so you are excused image >>

imageimage

ps thank you
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    So the rumor that Bob Lemke stole all the '54 Mantles from the Topps factory during the printing runs is true??????
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    And for that matter, where's the Musial? image
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    I've never quite understood the design of 54 Topps. Is there any other Topps set that has only three borders? Or for that matter, an asymmetrical border?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even without the Mantle the '54 set is one of the absolute best Topps issues in my opinion, to me it just stands out as a classic 1950's set
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Yea...the set has no Mantle or Musial, but it has not one, but TWO Ted Williams card, a nice Ernie Banks rookie, and some kid named Henry Aaron.....
  • Options
    And, let's not forget ROY Wally Moon's rookie along with Tommy Lasorda's rookie!!!!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    Wally Moon and Tommy Lasorda mentioned before Al Kaline? image I'm joking of course. Classic set all around!
  • Options
    good work smitty boy
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice card Bob.

How about the one from the 54SI.

Mike
  • Options
    The only thing I don't like about the 54 set is the one season of statistics, wonder if I am the only who feels that way. Love the pics and color.
  • Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    And a Kaline rookie.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I never liked the one season of stats.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Love the old school logos on these cards.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I never liked the one season of stats. >>

Hi Steve.
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yea...the set has no Mantle or Musial, but it has not one, but TWO Ted Williams card, a nice Ernie Banks rookie, and some kid named Henry Aaron..... >>

Let's no forget some kid named Kaline!! image