Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

'09-S V.D.B question

Hi fellas

I have a question, the kind that some here probably hate, but please bare with me.

Need to know the approx value of a S VDB that has been graded as VF Scratched obverse. It looks like to me the type of scratches (2) that occur from hastily removing a coin from a 2 X 2 and getting some "staple love" across the chest area of Lincoln's coat or suit jacket. Maybe a teeny bit deeper. They are not horrible looking and in fact are not seen immediately.

Sorry, no photo, but if you feel like it, take a stab at a value for me?? Thanks!
At 47, I'm wondering why I'm one of the youngest people at stamp shows!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    If I were selling it, I would feel lucky to get $600 for it. I would sell if for the first offer over $500 I got.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Double post.
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Coin should sell for the 650/700 range...
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    It'll be a tough sell but you should be able to get around $500-550 for it. Problem free ones usually go for around 1.5x that so I think that sounds about right.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, this is just another reminder to me why I can't handle dealing with problem coins. I get that gnawing, pit of the stomach feeling that others seem to be immune to. Then again, it is what it is, and will probably make somebody happy.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2/3 the price of problem-free sounds about right....

IF the damage isn't so repulsive as to cause you to run away from the coin in horror,all the while contemplating "swirly justice" as fit punishment for the one who created the damage.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    This one sold for $350 in 2007:

• Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>This one sold for $350 in 2007:

image >>

That needs to have a blowtorch taken to it.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options

<< <i>That needs to have a blowtorch taken to it. >>

I would imagine the buyer of the coin might disagree. image
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>

<< <i>That needs to have a blowtorch taken to it. >>

I would imagine the buyer of the coin might disagree. image >>

Lol! Yeah, I think you may be right. Definitely not something you'd want to take home to Mom, though.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. Coin is from a friendly dealer in my area. Good guy. It looks great in the slab, but he's asking $640.00 We plunked down 300 so far but now I'm having buyer's remorse. May have to reconsider.

Thanks again, everyone.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    If he's a good guy and you want to remain on friendly terms with him, see if he can offer you something else for the $300 you've already committed, or the full $640, or whatever he might be willing to do.

I am assuming in this scenario that the amount of $640 isn't the problem, but rather the coin's iffy quality.

Perhaps you can find a gold coin to buy at around that level, maybe a little additional $ to buy that piece, etc. It's what I would try and do rather than back out of a deal entirely. Of course, this is assuming he's a dealer that will have other stuff that interests you.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I definitely would rather a coin that is problem free. Wish I had a photo but that would be poor taste to ask to photo it. We (my son and I) are at our limit and he (dealer) says he's into it for X and X is close to 640.00.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This one sold for $350 in 2007:

image >>

That needs to have a blowtorch taken to it. >>

That's a coin that needs to be doctored in such a way as a ripped chair/couch or a damaged painting should be.
    Not doctored in a way to fool people, but so it would look better, raw, in an album. Maybe laser etch "doctored" into the edge image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe laser etch "doctored" into the edge image >>

That coin looks like it has leprosy. Good luck trying to put back what's fallen off already. And seriously, how could you hide it?
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone. Coin is completely back in dealer's hands (actually, never left as it was only a deposit). They guy was very cool about it and in good faith, I chipped away at a couple 30s and 40s Wash quarters from his inventory.

Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file