Home Precious Metals
Options

I'm thinking of

Converting all my numismatic coins into silver bullion. What say you?

Comments

• Options
    I can't make the decision for you, but I have been doing that myself the past few weeks with my numismatic coins having 2x+ value over their metal content. I figure I can enjoy filling in my Franklin halves album with 90%.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've pretty much stopped buying coins and have been buying silver and gold bullion. The spread between buy and sell is much narrower for bullion and there are no worries about whether CAC will give it a sticker or not.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I did that 3 years ago and have not looked back since, well, maybe once or twice. I had a hell of a CC Morgan collection, but I got out of them before they started taking a dive too.
    Now, I'm phasing out of the .999 silver I don't want any more and I think I'm just going to stick with 90% silver coins and pick off a "collectible " silver bar here & there.
    There's more wiggle room, buying or selling, with 90%. With random .999, people will just not give you a premium. Typical .999 silvers life revolves around whatever Spot is, it's Spots biyitch. Not so much with 90% because there still is some numismatic value to it that people are more willing to pony up for.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold my best numismatic holdings about 5 years ago and used the proceeds to buy PMs.

But I've actually been picking up better numismatic pieces recently, for several reasons:

The prices on these coins have stabilized and even fallen in that period of time. In fact, I've gotten one piece for half of what it was offered for 5 years ago.

Their price relative to the PMs that I now have look incredibly attractive. Using that same coin as an illustration, that piece would have cost me 33 ounces of gold 5 years ago. I bought it for 5.25 ounces a few months back. Now that takes into account the sticker price drop. But wow. Just think about that.

Couple these reasons with the idea that my PM purchases over the last 5 or 6 years gave me the solid PM foundation I wanted and needed (so I don't feel overwhelming pressure to buy a lot more right now), and that my financial situation has continued to improve over that period of time, and better numismatic pieces I once thought were pie in the sky are now in my box of 20.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's more wiggle room, buying or selling, with 90%. ..... because there still is some numismatic value to it that people are more willing to pony up for. >>

So what would be a "good" deal to buy silver dimes/quarters at? There's a little shop by me that has more 90% then silver bars or ASE's.
    Since my Pawn shop is withholding because of the price drop, I may get some more nice 90%.

I have some really nice 90% that I have to learn how to sell as well (other then on ebay).
    COA
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Not me, although I stack a little I am at heart a coin collector. Even most of my bullion is high grade and slabbed, I find with the world gold I have been able to buy it for 5-10% over spot most of the time so I pick up pieces here and there when the price is right.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    tneig... Use this site for a barometer of what should be able to buy 90% at. I've found that the local b&m's I deal with are within .05-.15 x face of what this site is saying on 90%. Remember, it's only a starting point. A seller has to make some profit and is going to ask for more than what is posted on the site and it's most likely based on how much you're committing to buy. The more you buy, the closer they can get to the number on the site.
    coininfo.com is my bible for 90% because it tells you what the product is actually selling for, not what it's worth like sites like coinflation.com do.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.