Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I find this MPL incredible!

Too bad PCGS thinks otherwise, how about you?

WS

1911 MPL
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its been my experience that PCGS doesnt take kindly to that kind of "target toning" on copper. Especially with blue and violet color. I have a 1971 ddo gennie with a similar look.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    A beautiful coin to look at but GENUINE just the same. Any MPL is worth some money, but at $1,200 start not too many KNOWLEDGEABLE collectors will be bidding IMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I am more trusting of the paper tissue known for its coloring of MPLs and the fact that the coin cold have been stuck in an album for the target color than to believe some idiot doctor thought he could upgrade that MPL with a doctors touch..that coin was awesome before it went to PCGS and made the owner "Blue".

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen too many graded MPLs with that type of toning before so I'd have to trust the opinion of PCGS, particularly with the photos that are provided which aren't the best. Would have to see some killer photos of the piece and/or see it in hand to really feel better about the coin though. But from what I can see, it looks like it has the potential of being quite attractive.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I would be interested, even if PCGS had given it a grade. No concentricity to any of the color. For me, doesn't have "the look". JMHO image Mel
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think I would be interested, even if PCGS had given it a grade. No concentricity to any of the color. For me, doesn't have "the look". JMHO image Mel >>

Winner!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like that type of "blue" on that type of copper coin.
    I would not be a buyer even if priced at, or just below, guide in a problem free holder.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TextI haven't seen too many graded MPLs with that type of toning before so I'd have to trust the opinion of PCGS, particularly with the photos that are provided which aren't the best. Would have to see some killer photos of the piece and/or see it in hand to really feel better about the coin though. But from what I can see, it looks like it has the potential of being quite attractive.

........and maybe the photo is juiced a little...not in a bad way but it may make the blue.....too blue..jmo.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I owned that coin at one time. Its incredibly lustrous. The photo is extremely accurate.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Me likey. image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you think it was ever messed with or just original as can be???

WS
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Iceman.