Home Sports Talk
Options

Oh ye of Red Sox Nation...

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
I predict that DeMarlo Hale will be the next Red Sox manager.

Big Papi will play elsewhere next season. His demand for $25m per for two as a DH is not gonna cut it with John Henry etal.

Lester AND Ellsbury will be traded away during the winter.

Worst I can be is wrong.

Oh yeah, the Yankees need a MEGA MIRACLE, which ain't gonna happen. image

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good plan to me.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can send you Gene Lamont right now if you wish.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Na, we will pass!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Na, we will pass! >>

damn

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Hey, you guys could always pick up Valentine, I hear he is available.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I predict that DeMarlo Hale will be the next Red Sox manager.

Big Papi will play elsewhere next season. His demand for $25m per for two as a DH is not gonna cut it with John Henry etal.

Lester AND Ellsbury will be traded away during the winter.

Worst I can be is wrong.

Oh yeah, the Yankees need a MEGA MIRACLE, which ain't gonna happen. image >>

sad that all we can do now is speculate on "wait 'til next year"

nonetheless, my thoughts:

-Ortiz, if he is demanding $25 million per year, is smoking something. He will not get anywhere near that from any team, even if he magically develops gold glove skills at 1B and 4.4 speed in the 40. His injury history is starting to build, and he has not shown that he is "back" from the Achilles injury. Isn't that an injury some have associated with the breakdown effects of steroids? I do think the Sox sign him for two years if he can pass a physical, maybe around ten million a year. You bet the Sox will take some sort of insurance out on his contract

-I sure do hope you are right on Ellsbury. He is not going to sign long term with the Red Sox without a crazy price (he will be looking for Crawford money as a FA after next year). He absolutely needs to go. The Sox need pitching (who doesn't?) and they have an opportunity to pick up a couple younger pitchers with Ellsbury. Ellsbury is prone to injury, so the sooner the Sox trade him, the better. Let him break down or suffer a career-ender under some other team's contract.

-No matter who the manager is, the person selected has to be selected and totally supported by the GM. Valentine never had that. The new manager needs to be able to select every single one of his coaches. Valentine never had that. The Sox (Lucchino...a real PITA) set Valentine up for failure by giving him responsibility for success without the authority to make the success happen. Whomever the new manager is needs to be given the authority to select coaches and be involved (not just lip service) in player acquisition and release decisions. I have no problem with DeMarlo Hale.

-The only way they trade Lester is if they get significant long term value coming back. They won't trade him as a salary dump, since given astronomical costs for starting pitching these days, Lester's contract is considered "manageable" (odd, I wish I had a manageable contract!).

What's the rotation next year? Seems like Buchholz, Lester, Lacking, Dubront, and some new pitcher? Does not look good at all. Buchholz is now the best pitcher on the team. How's that going to work out?
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    The only good thing about next year's starting rotation is that it doesn't include Dice-K. At least not right now.
  • Options
    Farrell named manager according to Boston Globe...Mike Aviles is the compensation to be sent to the Blue Jays
  • Options
    Barndog appears to be right. Farrell was always my first choice, but thinking the Blue Jays wouldn't budge, I went with Hale...the story...

The Boston Red Sox have hired John Farrell as their next manager, a source confirmed to ESPNBoston.com's Joe McDonald on Saturday night.

The sides agreed to a multiyear deal, the source told McDonald.

More From ESPNBoston.com

With John Farrell in place as manager of the Red Sox, general manager Ben Cherington's neck is on the line, Gordon Edes writes. Story

• Red Sox Blog | ESPN Boston

Farrell, Boston's former pitching coach, had one year remaining on his contract as manager of the Toronto Blue Jays.

As compensation, the Red Sox will send veteran infielder Mike Aviles to Toronto, a source told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes. The source also said the Blue Jays will send a player to the Red Sox.

Red Sox spokeswoman Pam Kenn said early Sunday the team had no announcement to make. A source, however, told McDonald that an announcement is likely to be made sometime later Sunday.

The Red Sox formally interviewed four candidates -- Los Angeles Dodgers third-base coach Tim Wallach, New York Yankees bench coach Tony Pena, San Diego Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus and Baltimore Orioles third-base coach DeMarlo Hale -- to replace Bobby Valentine, but Farrell had been "at the top of their list" from the start, a team source told ESPNBoston.com earlier this month.

Farrell served as the Red Sox's pitching coach from 2007 through 2010.

The Red Sox attempted to acquire Farrell a year ago, but they weren't willing to bow to Toronto's asking price of what was rumored to be pitchers Clay Buchholz and/or Daniel Bard.

The Red Sox eventually hired Valentine, then fired him the day after finishing their worst season (69-93) in more than four decades.

Farrell Knows Red Sox Well

The Red Sox's pitching staff finished with the third-worst ERA (4.70) in the AL this past season. Will new manager John Farrell help? Well, with Farrell as the team's pitching coach from 2007-10, Red Sox pitchers fared considerably better. Here's a look:

Category

Totals

AL Rank

Strikeouts

1st

Opp BA

1st

Shutouts

1st

ERA

3rd

-- ESPN Stats & Information

The Blue Jays chose Farrell to succeed the retired Cito Gaston in October 2010, signing him to a three-year contract. Farrell led the Blue Jays to an 81-81 record in his first season, but the team was 16 games under .500 (73-89) this past season, finishing only better than the Red Sox in the AL East.

Farrell spent eight seasons pitching in the majors, winning a career-high 14 games for the Indians in 1988, before retiring after the 1996 season.

He spent five years as assistant coach/pitching and recruiting coordinator at his alma mater, Oklahoma State. He then returned to the Indians in 2001, serving as the team's player development director for five years before joining the Red Sox.

Even before the announcement, news of the deal trickled out over Twitter, where Blue Jays reliever Casey Janssen wrote: "Want to wish our skipper the best in Boston, good luck!"

Information from ESPNBoston.com's Joe McDonald and Gordon Edes and The Associated Press was used in this report.
  • Options
    now the Sox need to let Farrell and Cherington build the team for next year...and leave Lucchino out of the process!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well so we got a new Manager, we dumped alot of trash.

Things are looking better already, the Yankees are a year older, they got a ginormous amount of money into Arod for a longhaul Im thinking pretty soon they might be envious of the Red Sox ability to reload.
  • Options
    The backstory on Farrell's selection...pretty long...

BOSTON -- John Farrell, the 50-year-old son of a lobsterman who shares the same birthday as Roger Clemens, on Sunday officially was named the 46th manager of the Boston Red Sox, 17 days after Bobby Valentine was fired.

Even before the announcement, Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester, who had developed a close relationship with Farrell during his four-year tenure as Red Sox pitching coach (2007-10), tweeted his excitement at the news.

"Welcome back John!!" Lester tweeted under the handle @jlester31 Sunday morning. "Can't wait to get back to work!!"

More From ESPNBoston.com

With John Farrell in place as manager of the Red Sox, general manager Ben Cherington's neck is on the line, Gordon Edes writes. Story
    • Red Sox Blog | ESPN Boston

Red Sox DH David Ortiz, a pending free agent, also spoke highly of Farrell's hiring.

"To be honest with you, there is something about John that they can see because they've been chasing John for the last couple of years," Ortiz told Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com. "I love John. John is my main man. Even when he was the pitching coach.

"But I don't know if it's fair for him to walk into this situation that we are in right now. Hopefully everything goes well and he can change things around. He's up for the challenge and what he's going to bring to the table. Hopefully everything goes great. I know things didn't go the way he expected in Toronto and hopefully it works out for him here.

"We needed something different. I think you're going to notice a difference. We need somebody to increase the way things are around here and John's the guy. I'm excited."

The Red Sox came to terms with Farrell on a three-year contract after completing compensation negotiations with Farrell's former employer, the Toronto Blue Jays, in which the Red Sox sent shortstop Mike Aviles to the Jays and received journeyman reliever David Carpenter in return.

"We are thrilled to name John Farrell as our new manager," general manager Ben Cherington said in a statement released by the team. "John has been a major league pitcher, front office executive, coach, and manager. His broad set of experiences, and exceptional leadership skills, make him the ideal person to lead our team. I have known him in various capacities throughout my career, and I hold him in the highest regard as a baseball man and as a person."

Toronto general manager Alex Anthopoulos said that Farrell told him of his desire to return to Boston a few days after the end of the regular season.

SportsNation: Red Sox hire Farrell

The Red Sox are hiring ex-pitching coach and current Blue Jays skipper John Farrell as manager. Will he succeed where Bobby Valentine fell short?
    Cast your vote!

"This was a dream job for him, an opportunity he really wanted to pursue,'' Anthopoulos said in a conference call with reporters Sunday afternoon.

At that point, Anthopoulos said, Toronto had not yet heard from the Red Sox, and he told Farrell that if the Red Sox didn't ask for permission within a few days, the Jays could not wait and that he was prepared to put "it to bed.''

But a couple of days later, Anthopoulos said, Red Sox principal owner John W. Henry called Blue Jays CEO Paul Beeston, setting the process in motion, confirming a report by ESPN Boston.

Compensation talks took place primarily on the ownership level, Anthopoulos said, with the Blue Jays set on acquiring a major league player in return from the start of the process.

"A lot of names went back and forth,'' Anthopoulos said, before the sides settled on Aviles, who was Boston's everyday shortstop until the end of the season, when the Red Sox gave extended playing time to rookie Jose Iglesias.

Carpenter, the pitcher Boston received back for Aviles, was going to be dropped from the Blue Jays' 40-man roster, Anthopoulos said, meaning any team could have picked him up for the $20,000 waiver price in December's Rule 5 draft.

Anthopoulos complained that news of Farrell's hiring leaked out Saturday night and mentioned "gamesmanship ... not on our end.''

When asked if Boston was guilty of gamesmanship or whether he suspected any tampering had taken place, Anthopoulos said that the process did not go "as smoothly as it could have" but seemed to exonerate Red Sox officials. He referred to Cherington as "first class."

"I didn't have any issues with Ben,'' Anthopoulos said. "Paul had no issues with the ownership group.''

Cherington and his baseball operations staff interviewed four other candidates in a week-long process that ended Thursday: Dodgers third-base coach Tim Wallach, Yankees bench coach Tony Pena, Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus and Orioles third-base coach DeMarlo Hale. Like Farrell, Hale had been a member of Terry Francona's coaching staff in Boston.

At the same time, the Red Sox were in contact with the Blue Jays, seeking their permission to negotiate with Farrell, who had a year remaining on his three-year contract to manage the Blue Jays.

Ausmus, in particular, greatly impressed the Red Sox during his interview. But Boston ownership, determined to avoid the mixed signals created by Valentine's hiring last winter, gave its support to Cherington's choice of Farrell.

Farrell, who in his first year in Boston won a World Series ring in 2007, inherits a team that lost 93 games and finished in last place for only the second time in the last 80 years. Under Valentine, the Red Sox not only endured an unprecedented siege of injuries but were wracked with internal issues that pitted the manager against players and coaches, culminating in a late-July meeting with ownership in New York in which Valentine was not included.

Farrell faced criticism of his own in Toronto, where the Blue Jays, after going 81-81 in his first season, 2011, slipped to 73-89 in 2012. This past season Toronto lost three starting pitchers in the span of four days to serious injuries (season-ending for two, a nine-week absence for the other) and also lost star slugger Jose Bautista for the season's last 10 weeks because of a wrist injury.

Veteran shortstop Omar Vizquel called out the Blue Jays for a lack of accountability.

"It's part of the inexperience," Vizquel said. "If you make mistakes and nobody says anything about it -- they just let it go -- we're going to keep making the same mistakes over and over again. We have to stand up and say something right after that mistake happened. We have to talk about it at meetings. We have to address it in a big way in the clubhouse.''

But Red Sox officials privately downplayed those criticisms, saying they had not altered their opinion of Farrell. During the period when he was pitching coach, the Red Sox staff held opponents to an American League-low .254 batting average and led the league in strikeouts (4,771).

More On The Red Sox

Gordon Edes and the rest of the ESPNBoston.com team have the Red Sox covered for you. Blog

Anthopoulos said, "I don't think it's fair to pin on anybody,'' saying the Jays bore collectively the responsibility for their disappointing performance.

"His work ethic did not waver, his focus did not waiver,'' Anthopoulos said of Farrell. "He was always fully committed to his day-to-day job.''

Anthopoulos said no one could have foreseen the Red Sox firing Francona as Red Sox manager following the 2011 season, creating a "perfect set" of circumstances that led Boston to seek to bring Farrell back as manager. For that reason, he said, he did not regret hiring Farrell, and refused to be drawn into a discussion of any negative feelings he might have regarding his departure.

"This is the one job (for Farrell),'' Anthopoulos said. "There's no other city that was more of a perfect fit and a perfect opportunity."

Anthopoulos said he spoke with Aviles and assured him that at minimum, he would be the team's utility infielder and might be given a shot at the team's second-base vacancy. "No doubt he has his flaws, but he is a high-energy player and has some power.''

Aviles went to social media to thank Boston fans.

"Wanna thank #RedSoxNation for all the support, great city, team and fans!" Aviles posted on Twitter as @themikeaviles. "Loved my time there but now it's time for a new chapter! #gojays"

Aviles, 31, played 136 games for the Red Sox in 2012, primarily at shortstop (128 games). He hit .250 with 13 home runs and 60 RBIs. He exceeded expectations defensively at short, but his on-base average of .282 tied J.J. Hardy of Baltimore for lowest in the AL among hitters qualified for the batting title.

Carpenter, 27, has struck out 60 in 60 innings over 67 career major league games, all in relief, with the Astros (2011-12) and Blue Jays (2012). He is 1-5 with one save and a 5.70 ERA (38 ER) in his big league career.

The right-hander appeared in 33 major league games in 2012, including 30 with the Astros prior to being sent to the Blue Jays in a 10-player trade July 20. In 2012, he also pitched in 23 minor league games for Houston's Triple-A club in Oklahoma City and Toronto's Triple-A Las Vegas affiliate, posting a 1-1 record with four saves, a 3.08 ERA with 25 strikeouts and only seven walks in 26.1 innings.

• Options
    If quoting and illegally posting local news affiliates please be sure to get the story straight

Farrell, Boston's former pitching coach, had one year remaining on his contract as manager of the Toronto Blue Jays.

should be:

Farrell, Will Farrell, Boston's former pitching coach, had one year remaining on his contract as manager of the Toronto Blue Jays. Will's history consists of the best SNL Jeopardy episodes that ever existed and alse has earned the Ricky Bobby monicker for his performance in Talledega Nights. Now known as, Ricky Bobby Ferrell, the new Red Sox Manager has 'already asked if he could take the Babe Ruth trade back' and has offerred 5 bucks for it.
  • Options
    I can hardly wait for spring training to start.

I am already sick of the Patriots .

They are not going anywhere with their secondary.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I can hardly wait for spring training to start.>>>

I can wait. Other than the fact that Valentine is gone, or the perspective that 2013 can't be any worse than 2012, what's to get excited for? They don't have a single player to make you stay on your sofa when he comes to bat, or a starting pitcher that is appointment viewing every time he takes the mound. The free agent class this winter is pretty weak, and the superstars that are available comes with baggage, and the Sox have holes everywhere:

C, 1B, SS, LF, RF...and maybe CF if Ellsbury gets traded this off-season.

Their rotation is shaping up to be Lester (who I think can bounce back next year), Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront, and free agent pitcher X.

Their bullpen needs to be totally reconstructed.

In all likelihood, they are going to be mediocre again next year. Perhaps they catch lightning in a bottle like the O's and A's did this year, but beyond that, there isn't a nucleus in place to build around.
  • Options

<< <i><<<I can hardly wait for spring training to start.>>>

I can wait. Other than the fact that Valentine is gone, or the perspective that 2013 can't be any worse than 2012, what's to get excited for? They don't have a single player to make you stay on your sofa when he comes to bat, or a starting pitcher that is appointment viewing every time he takes the mound. The free agent class this winter is pretty weak, and the superstars that are available comes with baggage, and the Sox have holes everywhere:

C, 1B, SS, LF, RF...and maybe CF if Ellsbury gets traded this off-season.

Their rotation is shaping up to be Lester (who I think can bounce back next year), Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront, and free agent pitcher X.

Their bullpen needs to be totally reconstructed.

In all likelihood, they are going to be mediocre again next year. Perhaps they catch lightning in a bottle like the O's and A's did this year, but beyond that, there isn't a nucleus in place to build around. >>

other than "totally reconstructed" bullpen, I agree. The basics to a bullpen are there with Miller, Tazawa, Atchison (I presume he's back?), Hill (injury free and signed, dunno?).
  • Options
    Farrell introduced in Boston today...

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox on Tuesday officially introduced John Farrell as the 46th manager in team history at a news conference at Fenway Park.

"His integrity, leadership skills, intelligence are second to none and make him the right person for this job," general manager Ben Cherington said.

The Red Sox on Saturday came to terms with Farrell on a three-year contract after completing compensation negotiations with Farrell's former employer, Toronto Blue Jays, in which the Red Sox sent shortstop Mike Aviles to the Jays for journeyman reliever David Carpenter.

"It is very much a privilege," Farrell said Tuesday. "I am honored and humbled to be standing here today."

This will be Farrell's second stint with the Red Sox. He was the team's pitching coach from 2007 to 2010.

In his comments to reporters, Farrell stressed that a Red Sox team that was perceived as fractured this season would speak with "one voice" under his leadership and that trust would be paramount. He said he already has begun to re-establish relationships and would continue to do so as one of his first tasks, along with filling out his coaching staff.

"Yes, there are some relationships still existing with some of the players here but by no means will that be taken for granted," Farrell said. "There's familiarity. There's an understanding of maybe the person I am and certainly who they are. But it'll be my approach go back in -- that's already started with conversations and a sit-down with David (Ortiz) here already earlier today -- to start to earn that trust and re-establish all those relationships."

That wasn't the case last season when Bobby Valentine had a cool relationship with some coaches, publicly criticized Kevin Youkilis before he was traded to the Chicago White Sox and was the target of players' complaints at a meeting they had with team officials.

The Red Sox also were hurt by numerous injuries and management finally gave up its postseason hopes when it traded Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Aug. 25. That left Valentine with starting lineups in September that looked better suited to their Triple-A team at Pawtucket.

"I can't speak to what the Red Sox clubhouse was last year," Farrell said. "I think it's important that we communicate consistently to the players, we outline expectations and we have to hold players accountable to what we're trying to get done.

"It's got to be a positive place that they want to come to every single day."

When asked why this Red Sox job was attractive to him, he pointed to the significance of baseball to the region.

"I think Boston, in my mind, and it may be debatable across the country, this is the epicenter of the game," he said. "To come in and have at least four years of experience previous, not having sat in this seat, but been close to it to see the demands of the position, the passion of this region, the energy that is in this ballpark every single night. I think to a certain extent that energy and what people expect holds our players accountable with the effort that they put out every single night."

Farrell also stressed the importance of pitching, particularly starting pitching, and said he would be an aggressive manager on the basepaths and in other areas.

"We are extremely happy to have John Farrell back in our organization," Red Sox owner John Henry said in a statement released in advance of the introductory news conference. "Ben Cherington and John will form a very strong partnership in leading this club back to where it needs to be. John knows our club and division well. His baseball knowledge is unsurpassed and his background is diverse and rich. John is an articulate leader who has always had the respect of everyone who dealt with him at the Boston Red Sox."

Farrell, who in 2007, his first year in Boston, won a World Series ring, inherits a team that lost 93 games and finished in last place for only the second time in the past 80 years. Valentine was fired as manager a day after the season ended after serving just one season.

The Red Sox interviewed four other candidates for the position before deciding on Farrell: Dodgers third-base coach Tim Wallach, Yankees bench coach Tony Pena, Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus and Orioles third-base coach DeMarlo Hale. Like Farrell, Hale had been a member of Terry Francona's coaching staff in Boston.

"Ben Cherington led a thoughtful, thorough and detailed process," team chairman Tom Werner said in a statement. "We examined some excellent candidates, any one of whom will be a good manager. With John Farrell, we have someone with a great track record in our organization, someone who has great relationships in our organization. We believe he will play a key role in restoring our club to the levels of success we have enjoyed over the past decade. We are elated to have him back."

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said Farrell told him of his desire to return to Boston a few days after the end of the regular season.

"This was a dream job for him, an opportunity he really wanted to pursue,'' Anthopoulos said in a conference call with reporters Sunday afternoon.

When he spoke with Farrell, Anthopoulos said, Toronto had not yet heard from the Red Sox, and he told Farrell that if the Red Sox didn't ask for permission within a few days, the Jays could not wait and that he was prepared to put "it to bed.''

But a couple of days later, Anthopoulos said, Henry called Blue Jays CEO Paul Beeston, setting the process in motion, confirming a report by ESPNBoston.com. Compensation talks took place primarily on the ownership level, Anthopoulos said.

"John Farrell has so many attributes that we admire. He gets it. He is a most impressive interview -- open, honest and articulate," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said in a statement Tuesday. "We did not know if we could pry him loose from the Blue Jays, but discussions were amicable, and we were able to hammer out an agreement with them and with him, and now we are eager to continue our efforts to construct this club for next season and beyond."

It is the seventh time in major league history that one team has traded for a manager while he was under contract to another, the Red Sox said. Last year, the Miami Marlins obtained Ozzie Guillen from the Chicago White Sox in a deal that included three players.

The Red Sox's pitching staff finished with the third-worst ERA (4.70) in the American League this season, but it had thrived under Farrell. From 2007 to 2010, Sox pitchers ranked first in the AL in strikeouts (4,771) and opponents' batting average (.254) and was third in ERA (4.11).

"John has a great combination of skills, experience and leadership ability," Cherington said in a statement Tuesday. "He's a pure baseball guy, with the ability to develop relationships across a broad spectrum. We look forward to working with him to build the next great Red Sox team."

Farrell's coaching staff began to take shape Tuesday; a baseball source revealed the Red Sox will hire Torey Lovullo as bench coach.

Lovullo, who managed with the Red Sox at Triple-A Pawtucket in 2010, had joined Farrell in Toronto as his first-base coach when Farrell took the managerial job there.

The Red Sox also are hoping bullpen coach Gary Tuck will return to that role next season, the source said. Tuck has an option year in his contract for 2013 and had said he would return "if the situation is good for me."

Tuck and Farrell enjoyed a close relationship when Farrell was the pitching coach in Boston, but Tuck also is dealing with an illness in his family, so that could be a factor in his decision.

Information from ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes, Joe McDonald and The Associated Press was used in this report.
  • Options
    Fisk has a very bad day...

By Roman Modrowski | ESPNChicago.com

Hall of Fame catcher Carlton Fisk was charged with a DUI in New Lenox, Ill., on Monday after he was found unconscious behind the wheel of his vehicle, which was found in the middle of a corn field, according to New Lenox police.

"Around 7:20 (Monday) night, we received a couple of calls about a vehicle in a field," Deputy Chief Bob Pawlisz said. "When officers went over there, they found Mr. Fisk unconscious behind the wheel.

"They contacted local paramedics in New Lenox, had him examined, and the officers had reason to believe he was under the influence. He was transported to the local hospital and charged with a lane violation, driving under the influence and illegal transportation of alcohol. An open container of alcohol was found in the vehicle."

Pawlisz said a citation was issued, Fisk posted bond and was released. The 64-year-old Fisk is scheduled to appear in the Will County Courthouse on Nov. 29.

Fisk broke into the majors with the Boston Red Sox in 1969 and played in Boston until 1980. He played in the 1975 World Series, and his arrest came one day after the 37th anniversary of his home run clinching Game 6 against the Cincinnati Reds, who won Game 7.

He signed as a free agent with the Chicago White Sox in 1981, and he retired from baseball in 1993.

Fisk was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2000.

• Options
    Red Sox "to do" list...

October, 24, 2012

5:04

PM ET

By ESPNBoston.com

Now that their manager is in place, the Red Sox have key decisions to make and big holes to fill that will determine the direction of the 2013 team.

The Red Sox have about $110 million coming off the books and just $45 million currently devoted to 2013 salaries, so they certainly have money to spend. They’ve pledged to make “disciplined” decisions going forward, but what does that mean? Will they be players for big-ticket free agents? Determining a 2013 budget will determine what kind of players or trades they pursue.

Below is our attempt to outline the major questions that need answering and what Ben Cherington, Carmine and Co. are working on over at 4 Yawkey Way. Click HERE to rank the to-do list below in the order of importance.

* Re-sign Ortiz and Ross: The team is already close to a deal with David Ortiz, according to a source, and Cody Ross said talks have begun for an extension for him as well. Locking these guys in early would be a good first step in building the roster.

* Find a first baseman: There’s a big hole on the right side of the infield and few quality free agents to fill it with. Internal options are bleak as well. First base is traditionally a spot that provides pop in the lineup. Will the Sox be able to count on that in 2013?

* Find a shortstop: Jose Iglesias is already an elite fielder at the position, but can the Sox afford to carry his bat in a lineup that might not be as stacked as it’s been in previous seasons? Iglesias hit just .118, and .031 with men on base. Can the Sox afford that, or will they seek a stopgap option via free agency?

* Find a left fielder: The trade of Carl Crawford left another hole in the outfield, one the team will need to decide whether to fill with an internal option -- Ryan Kalish or Daniel Nava, perhaps? – a free agent -- there are some intriguing options -- or perhaps via a trade.

* Fill out the rotation: The Red Sox have at least one hole in the rotation and perhaps two, and in any case will need to add some depth here. The question is, do they need to think big and add an ace? Or are you counting on bounce-back seasons from Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz? Will Alfredo Aceves be an option here?

* Choose a catcher: Is it going to be Jarrod Saltalamacchia (25 homers but just a .222 average) or is it time to give Ryan Lavarnway (hit just .157 in 153 at bats) a shot?

* Role players: Are guys like Pedro Ciriaco, Ryan Kalish and Daniel Nava going to be with the Red Sox next season?

* The Bard project: Can Daniel Bard be saved? The Sox have abandoned the idea that he can be a starter, but will a fresh start and John Farrell’s help get Bard back to being an elite setup man in 2013? Or will Bard perhaps be used as a trade chip this offseason?

* Make a call on Ellsbury: He’ll be a free agent after 2013, so his trade value might never be higher than it is right now. That said, the Sox might also want to try to sign the outfielder to a long-term contract, an unlikely prospect considering he is repped by Scott Boras. But if the Sox can’t ink him to a long-term deal and can’t afford to lose him via trade, they risk being left empty-handed if Ells signs elsewhere after next season.

* Fill out the coaching staff: We know Torey Lovullo will be on board, but the identities of Farrell’s other coaches are still to be determined. As Bobby V learned the hard way, Farrell will need to fill his staff with guys he can trust.

* Fill out the bullpen: The Sox are getting their closer back in Andrew Bailey and Junichi Tazawa has proven to be a reliable setup man. You can expect Andrew Miller, Mark Melancon and perhaps Franklin Morales to be contributors as well. Do they need to do anything major here?

• Options
    that article (to do list) tells Boston fans nothing they don't already know. In fact, Boston fans know more and think smarter than the author(s) of that article.

it really is trash.

To do? Really, is there a decision to be made about Aceves? He is so self-centered/non-team-oriented that he needs to go.

Ellsbury? Decision? Really? Maybe deciding who they will accept in a trade after they offer him a LTC at reasonable money and he says no.

Ciriaco? Why would anyone need to think more than a second or two about keeping him around as a role player? He proved himself the second half of last season. The guy hustles, hits, runs, and plays all over the infield. And he's inexpensive.

I could go on, but I won't

Those authors are dolts.