Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Paypal asking for id number

Well I got the message from paypal regarding me giving them my ssn or tax id number. I am near 14k in sales and way over 200 items. I will likely be near 18k by the end of the year. The email said that they will lift the restrictions off my account when I give it to them but the only restriction I see at the moment is I cannot close it until I give the number to them. Would they tell me outright if I cannot receive anymore payments?

Comments

• Why dont you just call them and be sure? Why take a gamble with your personal information and money.

1-888-221-1161

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and they will confirm if it came from them

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

• << <i>forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and they will confirm if it came from them

IMF >>

will do thanks
  • kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭

<< <i>Another technique I do with sites is to first type in a bad password. Only the legitimate site knows it's bad and will ask you type it in again. A three second test. >>

***VERY BAD*** idea! You might get a key stroke logger installed behind your back. If that happens, ALL your passwords are at risk.

****NEVER**** connect to a site you suspect is not a legitimate site.
    Kevin Thomas
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Another technique I do with sites is to first type in a bad password. Only the legitimate site knows it's bad and will ask you type it in again. A three second test. >>

***VERY BAD*** idea! You might get a key stroke logger installed behind your back. If that happens, ALL your passwords are at risk.

****NEVER**** connect to a site you suspect is not a legitimate site. >>

+438583895

Never ever do that
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    DRC, many tax id#'s are SSI numbers.
    Good for you.
  • PFBPFB Posts: 271 ✭✭
    I got the same message - even if it's legit, I am not giving them my SS #. I opened another PayPal account under my wife's name to avoid the aggravation, just in case it is real!!!
    PFB
  • im not going to give it to them either. Im at 14k in sales and wont sell 20k worth of stuff I just hope they don't limit my account if i get near 18k or higher
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can freeze your account at any time if you don't respond. Not saying they will but it's possible.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    All 2011 and 2012 they keep asking me for mine.

I usually sell around 10-12 K but last year sold a bunch of silver and it put me at 18 K

Never once limited my account.

They ask all the time: each time I log in and any time I call. I just politely tell them I will do it later or remind them I will not come close to 20 K and do not have to comply.

Joe
  • when they mean gross is it after paypal fees?

<< <i>when they mean gross is it after paypal fees? >>

No, gross is total payment amount for good and/or services before fees, not the net. They do exclude personal or gift payments though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Ah ok thanks
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paypal is not letting me add funds to my account unless I provide my TIN. Has anyone else run into this and found a way around it? I'm not going to get anywhere near $20k/200 transactions this year. They can pound salt if they want my tax information.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Why is this being asked of people so infrequently? All of it seems fishy to me. I thought it's 200/$20,000. Why the big confusion?

• << <i>Paypal is not letting me add funds to my account unless I provide my TIN. Has anyone else run into this and found a way around it? I'm not going to get anywhere near $20k/200 transactions this year. They can pound salt if they want my tax information.[/

I have the same problem. It might be because they want people to purchase moneypacs?

• << <i>

<< <i>Paypal is not letting me add funds to my account unless I provide my TIN. Has anyone else run into this and found a way around it? I'm not going to get anywhere near $20k/200 transactions this year. They can pound salt if they want my tax information.[/

I have the same problem. It might be because they want people to purchase moneypacs? >>

perhaps. I had to jump the gun and give it to them. I am very very closely watching my sales til 1/1
    I'm wondering if I can get around it by just paying by credit card instead of using cash in my account. Is there a downside to this? It looks like they only charge fees if you use the CC to send money to friends/family. No charge for regular purchase of goods. Do some sellers not accept Paypal CC payments? If not seen that restriction.
    I would just not add funds to the account and if you send a payment use funds drawn on a linked bank account or credit card.

• All I know is I got the dreaded email saying they were restricting funds being deposited into my account and that was at 18750 so if your near there watch out. Also im not sure how the cc or money pak situation works out

<< <i>I would just not add funds to the account and if you send a payment use funds drawn on a linked bank account or credit card. >>

That would work but the problem is that my bank charges me a fee for anything more than 5 withdrawals from the account in a month. So that limits my buying flexibility.