Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Price switcharooo

I must come across as a whiner to some of you guys. It's just frustration. I'm actually a decent guy. Here's my latest whine from just a 1/2 hour ago: An eBay listing just came out at $69.99 BIN for a 1986 Procards Greenville Tom Glavine BGS 9. Price is fair to me. I'm not going to quibble and try to get it down another $5. Heck, a 9.5 just went for $176 in an ebay auction last week so $70 is about right. I asked for a better scan of just the Glavine and a scan of the back to see the sub-grades. The seller promptly posts the scans within minutes of my request.....And then raises the price to $99.99, then responds, ok the scans are there without mentioning that he also raised the price. I wrote back "thanks for the quick post of the scans...and the raising of the price $30". And just like EVERY time something seemingly slimy happens, he responds, "oh the $69.99 was en error, I just noticed it when I added the scans." Ok it's his card and he can do what he wants with it until I click BIN and pay for it. But do you think maybe, just maybe think he was hoping I'd click BIN and not notice the price change? Do sellers understand how that move comes off to a buyer? Now I don't want to do business with this guy. All he had to do was respond, "Hi I added the scans. Unfortunately I noticed the price was a mistake and must raise it to $99.99. I apologize for the inconvenience." and then I wouldn't be writing this post. If anyone wants a nice first card of Glavine for $100, it will be out there. I won't be taking it.

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    linky

That sucks... keep an eye on it, maybe it'll drop back down over time. If someone buys it, then I guess that's how much it's worth.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    please refill your prescription.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who did that to me would be on my blocked list...no way I would buy from them.

Jeff
  • Options
    I must come across as a whiner to some of you guys

You! Noooo, never. lol

I dont know why you write every little horror story that you experience but you just gave this seller some free exposure.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The item listed immediately prior to it was priced at $69.99 so forgetting to change the price from the previous item is certainly possible. It probably wouldn't ever have been "noticed" if you didn't cause him to reevaluate the card with your interest in the subgrades.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this to the boards attention. I think it's slimy as well. Like you say he can do what he wants but it
    was bad business to not inform you of the price change.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The item listed immediately prior to it was priced at $69.99 so forgetting to change the price from the previous item is certainly possible. It probably wouldn't ever have been "noticed" if you didn't cause him to reevaluate the card with your interest in the subgrades. >>

I think this is right.

I have done that many times.

Joe
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Regurgitating an old thread for insight of its end/outcome: Well I'll never really know if he was being slimy or if it was just an honest mistake, but if he was in fact being slimy, then he got what he deserved and it's a moral victory for me as the card finally sold and ended up going for $5 less than the original $69.99 price that I would have paid 3 months ago after he jacked it up after my inquiry and then had to relist, relist, relist and drop, relist and drop, etc. etc. etc....

Final outcome

• Options

<< <i>Regurgitating an old thread for insight of its end/outcome: Well I'll never really know if he was being slimy or if it was just an honest mistake, >>

Perhaps you could request a back scan of one of his other cards (with a different ebay ID, if possible). If he raises the price, then you can be pretty sure that he's slimy.
  • Options
    Let's all simultaneously make offers of $40.