Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1954 and 1955 Parkhurst Wrestling In SMR

Well it finally happened....Some of the most condition sensitive cards of the 50s in wrestling is listed. Unlike the 1986 Carnations and the Wrestling All Star sets, there are rarely psa 8s or 7s. The 1955 set has Bronko Nagurski in rare card form. In a psa 4 of that year, the card is 100.00. The 1954s have wonderful stars like Killer Kowalski, Bobo Brazil, Lord Layton. These are all difficult to find in PSA 5 and above. There are cards on ebay right now such as G. George at 500.00! Certain cards from the 1955 set have pops of 1 and Nagurski has a pop of only 11. Some cards are more common. It is not easy to make a raw respectable set that is centered.

Comments

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Finally The Wrestling Partkhurst is getting some real attention. Very undervalued set, considering that there weren't that many wrestling sets in the 1950's and 1960's. I personally think the Gorgeous George is the best card in the sets.

I just got back from a wrestling convention in Jersey and Volkoff sang the Russian National Anthem. I love the 80's.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    George was a classic wrestler and is the star. I am a fan of BoBo Brazil and Lou therz as I remember them wrestling and got to meet BoBo in my hometown as well as luis martinez at a wrestling show in 1984.
    I do agree that is very undervalued.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am very excited for this development as well although it has not lead to more cards being listed on ebay....I'm still trying to upgrade my set but it is really tough and my GPA is just over 6.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I have not seen any new stuff hit the market. That is why there is such a low amt. of high quality cards. I am waiting for the BIG find and it hasn't come. Maybe some of our Canadian friends can give us some clues on how much was produced?
  • Options
    I would love to see an unopened pack of these Parkies but have never seen a wrapper.....
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    There still has not been high grade material to hit ebay the last few months despite these cards being listed in the SMR for a few months now.......
  • Options
    The 55s are special too. At last count, there were only 11 Bronko Nagurski cards graded. For a superstar like that, one would have thought that therewould be much more..even collectors of this Bronko Nagurski need this card in their set. We all know there is a 8 From Rick Probsteins site and a few scatterd around the rest of the world. I really think this a very undervalued card.
  • Options
    I have the Bronko in a PSA 6....have not seen that card in that grade for sale.....
  • Options
    Gorgeous George has some green arrows and trending upward. I think others are underpriced too but at least this one is correctly headed to where it belongs.....