Home PSA Set Registry Forum

NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO INSERT WORDS "SET BREAK" ON EBAY LISTINGS

I know how ridiculous this sounds, however, if anyone has experience and advice in ths matter, it would be greatly appreciated if you share it.

I have spent hours now attempting to individually list several 1968 Topps baseball cards, all PSA graded and from my registry, only to stumble upon error message after error message preventing me from listing anything with the words "set break" in the title. I have spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Ebay customer service and get nowhere. Of course it is all with their personell located in Asia, and they are so clueless, it is comical. The error message that comes up upon the click of "submit" when listing, informs me that Ebay dis-allows "Chance Listings" that are commonly referred to as "box breaks", and expalins how grab bags and other items of chance are not allowed on Ebay.

I know how lame this sounds, but it is true. The amazing thing is, there are currently over 15,300 items listed on Ebay that conatins the words "set break" in the listing. When I expalin this to the Ebay reps (including two different team leaders) they offer no explanation as to why I am not allowed to list the same. They simply defer to their default error message and ask me to change the wording. Utterly ridiculous.

I have considered changing to "set brake" in each title, and sounding like a moron, as believe it or not, Ebay will accept that spelling in the listing.

Thoughts? Ideas? as I am one frustrated Ebayer right now.

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Do you really think having the phrase "set break" in your title will bring more money? Seems like an awful small problem to cause you such heartache. I bid on the card, not whether it was once a part of a set. Maybe thats just me.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    dave. The advantage to seller and buyer about saying set break is alerting buyer there may be more individual cards from a set that you may need.

I am building 1960's FB sets and look to buy many commons from the same seller to save on shipping. Having set break allows me to possible buy more from the seller.

Try this: write a description of the sets and that shipping will be combined in the description, not the title. From there buyers will simply click on your other items for sale.

ex. breaking up a psa 8 and 9 68 BB set this week.
    combine shipping so look for more of my auctions

make sure you have this function on your seller set up.
    have this copied and pasted on yoir listings. You can add all the redundant things you might say in this as well.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Dave - I dont think the term will bring more $$$, but as Jay stated, it will likely prompt the set builder to click on "view seller's other items". Jay, I do have the term listed in the description, it just is weird they wont allow me to put it in the title, albeit 15,300 other listing titles have it.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Will "set breakup" work?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    OR PERHAPS...COLLECTION BREAK ???
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Is this a new eBay rule? Probstein used the term set break back in august.

T206 Shag Shaughnessy Set Break
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    FWIW - Don't sweat it. Try something a little different. 'Check out my other '69 Topps' for example always gets me to look at the sellers other items. Sometimes 'set break' ends up annoying me when I am searching for sets. Also, being very clear on shipping is always a key selling point for me on these set breaks. Something like '$3 first auction, $.50 each add'l, max of $8' seems fair to me and I appreciate when this is listed clearly in each auction.

Good luck with your sales. - Kevin M.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely ridiculas, almost as ridiculas as the personel you get to talk too when you phone.

Personally I would do the "Set Brake" people will get it, also in your item description maybe explain your breaking up the set and will be listing more soon?
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    This was discussed on the Sports card forum a few days ago. Maybe it'll help.
    I've noticed sellers using the phrase "from complete set" a lot lately.

Link to "set break" discussion

Edited to add: This is a lame idea but try spelling set break as "set brake". If it works everyone will catch on and if used enough
    maybe it wont seem like we are spelling challenged but just using a loop hole. Like I said - lame.
    I just read the post prior to mine and they beat me to it. Maybe not so lame after all.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    I have contacted Ebay cust. (non) serv. twice in past three days. Always Asia, and you cannot get transferred to reps in the States. I am into five hours on the phone in total. Two different team leaders were to email me and/or call me back when they sorted this out......they never did. The last call was over one hour and the CSR after placing me on hold at least 15 different times for 2 - 3 min.'s ea. time while she ck'd things out, finally came back and admitted that Ebay was having a problem and in error for dis-allowing "set break" in the title. She acknowledged that there were thousands of items currently utilizing "set break" in their listings and Ebay was working on over-riding their error mssg. and allwoing me to use the terms. She placed me on hold again, and somehow I was inadvertantly transferred to another dept. who tried to transfer me back to the same CSR. I held for 15 more min.'s and got dial-toned. Ebay has the worst customer service of just about any co. IMO.

Companies that utilize Asia and the like for their customer service need to understand the dis-service they are doing to their clients. It just does not work.