Home Metal Detecting
Options

10/07/12 - 3 Silvers, 1802 Large Cent, and...and... GOLD!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
After the big silver day last week it was hard to get motivation to get back out there. Not that 20 silvers isn't motivating, it's more about it's just been a lot of detecting this year, and I felt like I needed some rest.

Fast forward to this morning. Had a few hours free and finally convinced myself to get out for a bit. Things started out kind of slow with just some clad to show, and worked my way over to a different section. A couple minutes later I got an odd signal...dug and was surprised to see a ring???? Looked like a wedding band and couldn't see any flaking, so it looked promising. There were people around so I just tossed it in the car.

On my way back to the ring area a merc popped out! A bit later in another area another merc showed! Stuck the Pistol Probe back in the hole and got another signal... another merc! Got several pocket spills today, and fortunately, one of them was older. Two of the others each had at least four washington quarters (unfortunately, all clad).

Seemed like Washington Quarters abounded today... so when a shallow quarter signal came up later in the hunt, I didn't think anything of it. BUT, about two inches down, a large cent pops up!!!! Thought the outline of a Draped bust was showing, but didn't think it was possible.

Got it home and cleaned it up - 1802!!!! Reverse held up better than the obverse, but still an awesome treat. Totally unexpected that a large cent would pop out today.

Cleaned the dirt out of the ring, and saw the 14KP stamp! As far as I know, P stands for Plumb, which means it's full 14k, not something like 13.7k that the jeweler rounds up to 14k. Weight is 2.3 grams.

Overall not a bad haul and I've gotten my motivation back. HH all!

Comments