Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Have I bit off more than I can chew in the Complete US Type Set Category?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's my #74 set

I've got quite a few "easy" ones left. but will never get the Gobrect's, HR Saints, 1876 quarter, half. stuff like that.

But I still think I can shoot for the top 20 with my collection, which is added to slowly over the years.

Comments

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an ambitious goal. If I had deeper pockets and was 20 years younger, I might try that one.

Good luck on your set.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Hitting top 20 on a reasonable budget (4 figure coins) is 100% doable.

I think I'm 12th or something and I have only 4 figure coins (or less) in the set.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's my #74 set

I've got quite a few "easy" ones left. but will never get the Gobrect's, HR Saints, 1876 quarter, half. stuff like that.

But I still think I can shoot for the top 20 with my collection, which is added to slowly over the years. >>

You've definitely bit off more than you can chew!

As such, I think you need to give up on the Mel Wacks collection and simply send me what you have. That way.............

you can concentrate on your Type Set.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    My advice is to go to where you can edit your set and do the "What if" and find the most cost effective way to improve your set.

I am putting together a similar set under the Everyman category.

My advice is to also grab some of the cheaper higher grade Coins.

Example.

Morgans: You can buy a MS67 and be even higher 1880-S for less than 1k (Currently 8 on EBAY BIN 775-1,050)

Steel Penny: Currently on EBay you can buy a 1943-P PCGS MS67 for $99.00

Do this for each coin.

You may even find something where a lower grade of a coin will get you the close to the same score.

Here is an Example from my everyman set of Morgans.

1892-S in AU58 has sold recently for 13k-16k I can buy a XF40 for 400. So to me is the difference of 18 points times the registry number worth 12k? The answer is no. I can max out other Coins for that amount and just find a filler for that coin. This is what you will need to do with your set.

Good to you

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O