Home Sports Talk

Lou Gehrig is actually underrated.............

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
I was a few years off with his age...........when I realized he was only 35 when he had to walk away from the game. I was thinking he died at age 41. He died at age 37. He had 1,995 RBI's. His season totals from 1934 to 1937 are unreal. When he started to get sick he still turned in a very good 1938. He kept himself in such great shape that he would have played like 5 more years. He would have had like 2,600 RBI's and about 650 HR's. And let's not forget his .340 average. Consecutive games streak.........etc.

I think a great case can be made for him as the greatest player of all time. The only problem....Was he the greatest player on his team?

What a player.image

Comments

• MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    His numbers are staggering. I love peeping them now and again on bbreference just to appreciate them. And when one factors in the tragedy he dealt with-- just an impressive man and life. Yankee haters abound, but no rational person can hate on Lou.
  • Not a perfect analogy, but somewhat like Scottie Pippen on the Bulls. Constantly overshadowed by Jordan, but still a top 20 player on his own.

-Gehrig I think also was overshadowed by other guys in the 20's and 30's hitting .380 or .400. Bill Terry, Hornsby, George Sisler. Gehrig hit .370 three times and had 170 rbi seasons.
  • TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth started off as a pitcher, so imagine his numbers if he didn't lose the 3 or 4 years when he began his career. 800-900 home runs would not be far fetched. There is no one that will be better than Ruth (numbers wise).
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see Gehrig as underrated- He earned a timeless place in the history of MLB

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lou was great. And think how good Mick's number's would have been if not for knee injury's.

• << <i>I think a great case can be made for him as the greatest player of all time. >>

If people start making that case, he would become the most overrated player

Most see him as the greatest firstbaseman ever. Most have him among the top 20 ever, with a lot putting him in the top 10

He's rated accurately

(Pippen is no where close to top 20 basketball players)
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eleven straight years either #1 or #2 in times on base, top 4 in slg% every year of his career (3rd place all time), of course never missed a game.

Lou Gehrig IS actually underrated! The only two players who could hit with him are Ruth and Williams and Lou was certainly a better "team" guy than either of those two Prima Donnas.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Joe for helping me make my case. A little rant for a second............From everything I've heard...Ted Williams was not a good fielder at all....average to below average arm....below average baserunner...in his day not a fan favorite at all...and the media did not like him. One of the greatest hitters of all time.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's also remember that Gehrig batted after Ruth helping the Babe get better pitches. Ruth should have actually batted after Lou!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Happy birthday Lou!
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Happy birthday Lou! >>

Happy Birthday Lou.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I do not think that Gehrig is underrated. The only way I feel he may be slightly unappreciated is that his consecutive games played streak garners so much attention, that people may not always take the time to consider the numbers he put up. When you think of how superstars are given games off here and there to rest and get out of a slump, it is that much more amazing that he never got a "spell" and simply did not wear out. He simply produced every game, every year, for his whole career.