Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1933 Delong Set

There is something about the look of this set that I have always liked. After doing some research it seems that this set is one of the more difficult "short sets" to complete especially in higher grades. If anyone is collecting this set or has some additional input I would love to read it.

Comments

• Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Great set and very difficult to complete. The Gehrig is expensive. I believe that was Lionel Carter's favorite set or atleast on of them, so you are in good company.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    I don't have any of the cards, but I do usually like to look at them in auction catalogs....Memory Lane, Mile High, the old Mastro auctions.

The HOF'ers seem to consistently sell for thousands of dollars in an 8.

It's too bad there isn't a Babe Ruth, that would really increase interest in the set.
  • Options
    I love that set as well
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I love this set too, one of the first I completed when I got back in the hobby.
    The cards are a bit tough, made even more so by the thin and fragile paper stock. Finding them in higher grades can be a difficult and expensive proposition, even with such a small set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    High grade - tough set. I put together a low/mid grade set in 2010 in about 5 weeks.
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Love the set.....slowly collecting it (have about half...mostly HOFers 4-6 range)

Already mentioned - Gehrig and any NM-MT HOFer is expensive (only 8 I've ever had was a GAI Gomez and sold it for $1500+ a few years ago)

Other thoughts - Over half of the set is HOFers so it is star loaded. Narrow boarders make centering a major issue (Lots of OC and MC out there). Buy the card not the holder (I've seen 4's with better eye appeal than 6's).

Nothing to back it thoughts - I feel that mid-grade commons are selling for more than they did 2-4 years ago while HOFers are selling for slightly less?
  • Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it may be the vivid colors that these cards have that attract me the most, high grade ones have those strong yellow, blue, and red backgrounds. Even completing this set in a mid grade PSA 4-5 area looks like it would run easily $10,000 + for all 24 cards with the Gehrig looking like it would chew up a third of that at least.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    If I had a dollar for every time I have thought about starting this set.......
  • Options
    it's much easier than GCM's!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I keep thinking of it as well. I already have the Gehrig in a PSA 4. I hope you start it. If you do, please show as scans along the way
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    Would love to see that Gehrig, got to be nice in that grade.

imageimageimage

• Options
    I love this set and I know there was a reprint of it made. Was that done by Larry Fritsch?
    Follow me on Twitter @VOTC
    Tune in every Wednesday and Friday night to Cardboard Connection Radio, the hobby's #1 sports cards and collectibles radio show.