Home Sports Talk

The Official Miguel Cabrera 2012 Triple Crown Thread

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'll bet Yaz did not think he would live to see another one, now there is a damn good chance he will! (crossing my fingers that he passes the rest of his drug tests)

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am rooting for him!
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing. I remember Yaz's 1967 season.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Hamilton is going to be on a big stage today. How epic would it be if he knocked a couple of bombs out at Oakland!?
  • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Congrats to Miguel Cabrera!!! What an amazing accomplishment. The fact that he's not a fast runner and plays in a pitcher's park makes this even more amazing. What a season!
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    I was not following this very closely near the end. How close was the batting average? Would he still have gotten it if he was not pulled out early?
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was not following this very closely near the end. How close was the batting average? Would he still have gotten it if he was not pulled out early? >>

Yes he would still would have won it. Before the night started Trout would have had to go 5-5 and Cabera hitless in two at bats for him to lose the batting title (or something very close to this). It was fait accompli once Trout was 0-1 after his first two at bats. Over. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Oh and that WAS amazing. Unless you are somewhat old you have never seen a Triple Crown winner. So it's difficult to put in perspective just how hard it is to win a Triple Crown. Maybe this helps...............Ruth never did it. Aaron never did it. Mays never did it. Musial never did it. Bonds never did it. Pujols never did it...............This was a rare treat and something many of us may never see again. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was not following this very closely near the end. How close was the batting average? Would he still have gotten it if he was not pulled out early? >>

Yes he would still would have won it. Before the night started Trout would have had to go 5-5 and Cabera hitless in two at bats for him to lose the batting title (or something very close to this). It was fait accompli once Trout was 0-1 after his first two at bats. Over. MJ >>

That is great. If there was a chance he could have lost it some people would have been picking at him for years. An untainted achievement is golden image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes he would still would have won it. Before the night started Trout would have had to go 5-5 and Cabera hitless in two at bats for him to lose the batting title (or something very close to this). It was fait accompli once Trout was 0-1 after his first two at bats. Over. MJ >>

That is great. If there was a chance he could have lost it some people would have been picking at him for years. An untainted achievement is golden image >>

I believe he went 6 for 10 in the last series of the year. He actually could have used the rest as he has been playing on a bad ankle the last two months of the season. MJ
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    CABRERA is only the SIXTH player to win the Triple Crown in the past SEVENTY-ONE years!
    2012 AL Miguel Cabrera DET .330, 44 HR, 139 RBI
    1967 AL Carl Yastrzemski BOS .326, 44 HR, 121 RBI
    1966 AL Frank Robinson BAL .316, 49 HR, 122 RBI
    1956 AL Mickey Mantle NYY .353, 52 HR, 130 RBI
    1947 AL Ted Williams BOS .343, 32 HR, 114 RBI
    1942 AL Ted Williams BOS .356, 36 HR, 137 RBI
    1937 NL Joe Medwick STL .374, 31 HR, 154 RBI
    1934 AL Lou Gehrig NYY .363, 49 HR, 165 RBI
    1933 AL Jimmie Foxx PHA .356, 48 HR, 163 RBI
    1933 NL Chuck Klein PHI .368, 28 HR, 120 RBI
    1925 NL Rogers Hornsby STL .403, 39 HR, 143 RBI
    1922 NL Rogers Hornsby STL .401, 42 HR, 152 RBI
    1909 AL Ty Cobb DET .377, 9 HR, 107 RBI
    1901 AL Nap Lajoie PHA .426, 14 HR, 125 RBI
    1887 AA Tip O'Neill STL .435, 14 HR, 123 RBI
    1878 NL Paul Hines PRO .358, 4 HR, 50 RBI

WOW ... check out the HR total for COBB when he won in 1909.

Here are the TOP TEN in HRs for 1909:
    1: Ty Cobb (9)
    2: Red Murray (7)
    3: Tris Speaker (7)
    4: Jake Stahl (6)
    5: Sam Crawford (6)
    6: Beals Becker (6)
    7: Tommy Leach (6)
    8: Larry Doyle (6)
    9: Danny Murphy (5)
    10: Honus Wagner (5)

In addition to the ball being "dead" in this era, check out the distance to centerfield in these two parks:
    Many ballparks had big dimensions, such as the West Side Grounds of the Chicago Cubs, which was 560 feet to the center field fence, and the Huntington Avenue Grounds of the Boston Red Sox, which was 635 feet to the center field fence.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Miguel!! image

Still should be a close MVP vote between him and Trout.