Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sent in Business Strike for grading, came back as Satin Finish

So I sent in some 2005 business strike nickels from mint rolls and they came back with SP (satin finish) grades. Is there anything I can do or am I screwed?

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After creating the sets wtih SF dies, the Mint did not waste the dies and used them for circulation strikes.

So, you can find satin finish coins in circulation due to this, and not just breaking up of mint set.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    does it look like it could be a LDS SF ?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Contact grandam. He had the exact same scenario after submitting a bunch of nickels he pulled from a box of Jeffersons.

The reality is that Satin Finish was more or less a joke perpetrated against collectors by the US Mint. After 2005, the quality just went into the toilet BUT it left doubt in the minds of TPG's who feel that any high grade coin from 2005-2010 MUST be satin finish.

The same is true for 1965-1967 as, unless a specific die can be identified as a non-SF die (such as a doubled die), then the coin is doomed to an SP attribution regardless of its true origins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is the type of thing that highlights how crazy people are to think that TPG's are biblical.

Can you imagine, the same type of subjectivity is employed in grading coins with thousands of dollars at stake for one micro-grade on a slab?

Please take grades with a grain of salt.

And this is not a hater comment, just reality.....BTW, I just sold a BB'd coin to an acknowledged expert in the field for 17k (bought at just under 2k).
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

<< <i>Contact grandam. He had the exact same scenario after submitting a bunch of nickels he pulled from a box of Jeffersons.

The reality is that Satin Finish was more or less a joke perpetrated against collectors by the US Mint. After 2005, the quality just went into the toilet BUT it left doubt in the minds of TPG's who feel that any high grade coin from 2005-2010 MUST be satin finish.

The same is true for 1965-1967 as, unless a specific die can be identified as a non-SF die (such as a doubled die), then the coin is doomed to an SP attribution regardless of its true origins. >>

I take it you disagree with the notion that the SF dies were reused for circulation strikes?

I've gone to the mint's coin machines and the quarters pulled from back in the SF days led me to feel pretty sure they used LDS SF dies and now not.

• cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me on several occasions when I sent in 2005-D & 2006-D Sacajawea $1's handpicked from mint-wrapped rolls. And nothing changes when I send them back for review. Same thing has happened on clad quarters pulled from 1965-67 original rolls.

David Hall leaves the decision to another individual as he doesn't concern himself with the modern (post-1964) coinage.

• << <i>I take it you disagree with the notion that the SF dies were reused for circulation strikes? >>

Yes, it is a myth.

<< <i>So I sent in some 2005 business strike nickels from mint rolls and they came back with SP (satin finish) grades. Is there anything I can do or am I screwed? >>

If it is a nice looking coin, for some reason PCGS likes to default to the "Satin Finish" designation. The same can be said for the 1965 - 1967 coinage being defaulted to the SMS.

I have to scratch my head on what PCGS calls a nice looking coin to cause them to default to the "SP" classifications. I never thought that an AU58 grade warranted what constitutes a “nice looking coin” but we got a 1967 Kennedy half dollar back from PCGS and they changed the coin number to the SMS so the grade on the label reads SP58, the only problem is the coin in question is the DDO-001 (FS-103) we bought from James Wiles and is a “Business Strike” coin. image

We sent the coin back to James Wiles in the PCGS slab and he again confirmed it as a DDO-001:
    “1967 PCGS 26354486 DDO-001, 1-O-II-C +V-CW, stage A, EDS. Coin is not SMS.”
    I already have a 1967 DDO-001 (FS-103) in my set graded MS64 so I think I will leave this new one in the SP58 holder image
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is LDS? FYI, the coins in question graded SP-55 and SP-66, so typical for a coin roll.

I guess this can only be avoided by sending in a whole roll for grading.

• << <i>What is LDS? >>

LDS = Late Die State
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long story short :
    _ _ it happens, so work with _ _ i t.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file