Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legend Market Report: THE PCGS INVITE-SEPTEMBER

bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
The latest market report can be found here.

Very enjoyable read this week. image

Comments

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a Little Orphan Annie 1844 dime for sale that from the image on CoinFacts looks mighty sweet -- wish I had 40k laying around.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who are the dealers invited to set up......?

Or can any dealer apply to go and set up until space us filled up?

Edited to add: Why do they call it an 'Invitational'?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Edited to add: Why do they call it an 'Invitational'? >>

PCGS members only.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who are the dealers invited to set up......?

Or can any dealer apply to go and set up until space us filled up?

Edited to add: Why do they call it an 'Invitational'? >>

The last time I checked, in order to get a table you need to guarantee PCGS that you will submit a minimum of 100 walkthroughs at the show. They discount them by 20% so that makes it very palatable. As far as who sets up, it changes each time but the regulars seem to be Heritage, Angel Dees, Vic Bozarth, HLRC, U.S. Coins, SGRC, Spectrum, LSRC, Legend, Don Rinkor and Carter. There are also several dealers who regularly walk the show like Gary Adkins and myself. I think they call it an invitational because it is primarily a wholesale show and it would lose much of its character. Whereas big shows like the ANA, Baltimore and Long Beach are as much about putting on a show for collectors (and entertaining them) as they are for facilitating business, the PCGS show is about doing business. I am not sure I see PCGS not letting someone in because they are not a member.
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHY IS THIS STUFF POSTED HERE????

Anyone who is interested in Laura's views knows where to find it.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WHY IS THIS STUFF POSTED HERE????

Anyone who is interested in Laura's views knows where to find it. >>

I have an idea - let's not post ANYTHING that doesn't interest EVERYONE. That way, no one is offended by posts about ebay, moderns, AT, Legend, etc. I'm certain that we can all agree on the one or two threads per year that will leave us...

/eyeroll
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Our show is called the PCGS Members Only show. The show is open only to PCGS Authorized dealers and Collector Club members. Registered bidders for the Legend Morphy auctions will also be allowed in.

We do offer a discount on regular show submissions.

Any PCGS dealer wishing to setup can contact Monica in Customer Service. Dealers who are not interested in a table are welcome to attend and walk the show.

We try to make sure there is a good mix of dealers with tables regardless of how many submissions they make. It's that mix that makes the show interesting for everyone.

The schedule of shows is published on our website. Check one out.

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The last time I checked, in order to get a table you need to guarantee PCGS that you will submit a minimum of 100 walkthroughs at the show. They discount them by 20% so that makes it very palatable. As far as who sets up, it changes each time but the regulars seem to be Heritage, Angel Dees, Vic Bozarth, HLRC, U.S. Coins, SGRC, Spectrum, LSRC, Legend, Don Rinkor and Carter. There are also several dealers who regularly walk the show like Gary Adkins and myself. I think they call it an invitational because it is primarily a wholesale show and it would lose much of its character. Whereas big shows like the ANA, Baltimore and Long Beach are as much about putting on a show for collectors (and entertaining them) as they are for facilitating business, the PCGS show is about doing business. I am not sure I see PCGS not letting someone in because they are not a member. >>

David Lawrence Rare Coins, Lone Star Numismatics, Sarasota Rare Coin Galleries, Numismatic Americana, and several others also attend every one of these shows...there's obviously not a lot of retail going on, but it is certainly one of the least stressful shows we attend all year. If you want to see coin dealers in their natural habitat, this is the real place to check out image
    John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This past show was the best I have seen yet. All the tables were full, there were collectors in the room looking to buy and there was a palpable buzz in the air.
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce, I'd completely agree...it was very active from Tuesday-Friday for us as well.
    John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I have never been to Vegas although I have wanted to attend one of these
    PCGS invitational shows. Seems as though I almost made it to a show, but
    will be there for the Bocelli concert over Thanksgiving weekend. However,
    the next show is late December.

I have heard nothing but positive things about this show and I appreciate
    the time and perserverance that Laura has given us who do not normally
    have the opportunity of getting out to the PCGS Invitational Shows.

My only wish is that the PCGS Invitational Shows were conducted in Orlando
    rather than Vegas. I know I'd make every one of those !! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the link to LEGEND although I am not a customer of theirs.

I ---for the life of me---can't figure out why someone would consider it not worthy of a thread. The title is self explanatory and if it bothers anyone then you can bypass the thread.

One thing I noticed when reading her report was that there was no link to the LM AUCTION to be found. If there was I couldn't locate it.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Bruce - believe me, I would much rather read about Laura's columns than the unending FleaBay threads.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that PCGS limiting it to their authorized dealers and collector members makes the show very interesting.

Seems like the policy would sort of filter the quality of coins that are there I am thinking.

Now if I can only get my wife to let me go .......image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally appreciate Laura's perspective on this and other shows as well as the coin market in general, and I plan to check out the new LM auction site. For me, the more information we get, including other knowledgeable dealer's opinions, should be very helpful to all numismatists, so thank you for reminding us about Laura's reports.

I don't set up at these shows, but love being able to peruse the material in a very low-key, relaxed atmosphere and I usually end up with a nice group of newps that fit my customers' want lists. I couldn't make it to this show (having just been to Vegas twice last month already), but I already have my plane ticket and hotel reservations for the December 12-15 show!!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Monday October 01, 2012 8:51 AM   (NEW!)
    WHY IS THIS STUFF POSTED HERE????
    Anyone who is interested in Laura's views knows where to find it. >>

Well, it gives us something to argue about here, which cuts down our arguments with our spouses and ultimates lowers our divorce rate which is a good thing for hanging onto our coins!!!!!!!!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file