Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage Hockey Collectors - Can Help Me Out?

Hey guys, I picked up this card today at a show. Felt like I got a good deal on it for $8 and thought it might grade decent as it looks pretty clean. How can I tell if it's Topps or O Pee Chee? I'm not much into hockey but could not pass up this nice card on one of the greats of the game. Any help would be appreciated. Here are scans of the front and back.

Appreciate today-

Bill

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    It's an OPC. It is card #203, and the 1968 Topps set is only 132 cards. BTW, it's VCP in a 7 is $66, in an 8 it is $144.

Great pick-up for $8! image
  • Options
    The card is too small in my opinion.
    Measure it against a regular topps or opc card from any year, and I'm pretty sure it will not be the same size.
    If it does show itself being smaller then your other cards, then it was trimmed.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OPC 101
    $8 is a great deal for that 1968 OPC Howe all-star card. 1968 OPC was issued in two series. This is from the second series and many cards from that series are found with sharper edges and slightly smaller than normal. There are arguments about whether or not OPC outsourced sheets to be cut in the states, or if there were different cutting machines utilized during the year at the OPC factory. There have been US vending finds, specifically 1969 OPC second series and 1968 OPC Puck stickers, which exhibit none of the rough cut.

Regardless, there are lots of problems with centering with those all-star cards, so you are lucky to have a nicely centered copy. Many 1968 OPC have vertical roller lines running through the middle part of the card. You can usually only see this defect by angling the card under direct light.

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information everyone. It compares pretty much the same to other cards I have so I think it's fine size wise. I'll be sending this in with my next submission. Think I should be able to get a 7 out of it, hopeful for an 8.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick up - looks to me like a 7.5 or 8
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Great deal for $8.00

You could probably get $50.00 ++ if you decide to sell it raw on ebay (make sure to include reasonable north of the border shipping)