Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If you collect cards from the 1975 Red Sox... what year do you collect?

Since Topps prints photos on cards from the previous year... should you collect 1975 Topps Red Sox cards or 1976 Topps Red Sox cards if your collecting the 1975 Red Sox team?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    You must be REALLY bored huh.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>You must be REALLY bored huh. >>

Been thinking about it the past few days between rocket attacks. Finally had a moment of quiet to post the question.

Bored... unlikely! image
  • Options
    Both
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ... of course.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 76 set more -- just for the full sized Lynn and Rice. Am still surprised that Tony C. is not in either though.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    The 1975 team set has some players from 1974 (that weren't on the 1975 team)... the 1976 team set has players from 1975. If I'm collecting the 1975 team (the one that went to the World Series), it would make sense to collect 1976 cards?

Maybe I've made one too many trips to medical... but this seems like a valid question to me?
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photos may not have been from the previous season, so you couldn't be certain you were collecting photos from 1975 in 1976 cards.

The next question is, would you collect all players who played for the Red Sox at any time in 1975, even if they didn't have Topps cards in 1976, or were pictured with other teams if they were traded?

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    In all seriousness, a very tough call. If you had to only pick one year, my vote is 1975.

Why not start a poll?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not start a poll?

I'm not sure he knows how to set one up..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I would go with 76. It's the card that will have the stats from the previous year.

In Joe Orlando's book of the 250 Top Sports Cards, Roger Maris is featured once. The 1962 Topps card. The year AFTER he hit 61.

And, FWIW, this is a legitimate question.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 10 years ago I decided to collect the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens team, which went 60-8-12 in the regular season and won the Cup. I ended up collecting each career major issue card of every player whose name was on the Stanley Cup from that year. It was a fun project, and I'm still upgrading when I get the chance. Way more fun to create your own project than collecting the highest numbers on a red flip...
  • Options
    I've worked at a baseball card store in Michigan. The following facts may be of use to you:

1. The Detroit Tigers won the 1968 and 1984 World Series.
    2. We sell a LOT more 1968 Tiger singles and 1984 team sets than any other years.

I think it's a valid question and a legitimate argument can be for collecting the year after. However, my experience says that most people think otherwise.
  • Options

<< <i>Why not start a poll?

I'm not sure he knows how to set one up.. >>

Can you PM me instructions? image
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Well, it wouldn't be a legitimate thread around here if there weren't a few members needlessly busting the guy's balls for what I think is a really good question.

It really is backwards, but I think it's always been considered the year the cards were released that is considered the collectible.
    I also worked in a card shop in San Diego, and we had a lot of requests for the 1984 sets of the Padres, since that was their only world series appearance at the time. However, that set had many players that weren't on the team and also did not have guys like Greg Nettles, Kevin McReynolds, or Goose Gossage who were instrumental in thir run to the world series
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I used to collect MVP, Cy Young and Rookie of the year sets, I collected the the after.

PSA uses the actual year that it occurred.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>In Joe Orlando's book of the 250 Top Sports Cards, Roger Maris is featured once. The 1962 Topps card. The year AFTER he hit 61. >>

The 1961 New York Yankees are one of the greatest teams ever, and the Mantle Maris home run race is legendary. Collectors of the 1961 Yankees want the 1961 Topps Yankees cards, not 1962.

The 1962 Topps Maris card is included in Mr. Orlando's book and is considered "important" for several reasons. Being released several months after he had broken Babe Ruth's home run record definitely adds to its importance but is not the sole reason for it. It is mainly due to being card #1 in a very condition sensitive set.

Collectors want the cards issued during the year the team was famous. This applies across the board. No exceptions. Some other examples include: 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers, 1967 Boston Red Sox, 1968 Detroit Tigers, 1969 New York Mets.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    1978..........with a Bucky Dent sub set.image
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I would go with the 1975 set. I like to collect the cards that were being treasured as the World Series was going on.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I say collect the 1976 set, I think there is a playoff and World Series card in that set as well. I personally don't like the multiplayer rookie cards so I wouldn't be happy with a Lynn and Rice rookie card.

You could also collect the SSPC set, no one would know what year it is.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Just collect both. That's what I do. It's not like Topps sets are extremely cost prohibitive from anything post 1965 - especially if you're only talking between 30 and 40 cards per team set.
  • Options
    If you are a true Red Sox fan you collect both.