Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

51' Mays?

Probstein has a 51 Bowman Mays on consignment graded SGC 86. If you were to cross that specific card over to PSA, what would it grade? I am thinking a 7 with the only concern being the fish eye on the surface.

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a damn nice card! You just never know with crossovers or crackouts, so none of us can say for certain. My guess would be to agree with your assessment of a cross to PSA 7. Aside from the fish eye, it appears as though the upper left corner (when viewed horizontally) may have been flattened.

As a side note, I don't get why sellers scan horizontal cards vertically. Ughhh.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Card presents well in the SGC holder...
  • Options
    PSA 6
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful card but I would not crack the card out in fear that the card might be lower in grade
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cards that well centered tend to make me overlook other issues. Looks to me like two corners have problems (lower right looks a little soft), I don't thing PSA grades this one above a 7, perhaps even a 6.5.

I also agree about the scan, when I sell cards, I want them to present well to the bidders and always rotate the picture so that it is aligned correctly.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ugh. i see sadness in an unevenly cut gasket pushing up against the paper edge of the reverse bottom border.

maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but such an appearance would cause concern. from the rear it looks jagged all around.

i could live with the apostrophe in WIL'LIE.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Itzagoner,
    You said it perfectly regarding SGC's stupid and I mean retarded jagged cut gaskets. That is very durable plastic that ends up being pointy and damages the border. I have witnessed this many times on SGC cards. I do not mind SGC's grading; but when all the followers brag about the holder....gimme a break. At least if a card moves in a PSA holder it hits a smooth edge. Stupid, crazy, jagged cut gasket on a Say Hey rookie in high grade. I feel like I could go on and on......but this is also a reason I just think SGC is becoming more and more irrelevent all the time. Rant over.

Mickey71
  • Options
    .............I do like the card.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ah. i'm glad you gave this almost 22 hours worth of consideration.

i do agree with you on that. image
  • Options
    I had to think about it a bit.image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Guess we'll see who wins it to determine if it's cross-able.