Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this a medieval piece?

I have seen this one somewhere before, but I am not sure where. Is it medieval or is it from a German State? Thanks for any info. -Dan
obv?
rev?

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure why I cannot add the pic, so sorry for the links. -Dan
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a spanish cob. Sometimes known as "Pirate treasure". I dont collect them so I dunno which mint or year this is.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

The obverse does look vaguely familiar. Not a cob, I'd suggest a look around central Europe, maybe 1100 to 1300. What's the size - diameter and weight?

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. And thank you for the photo imbed. I do not know why I am all of a sudden having problems with that. -Dan
  • Options
    It is about the size of a dime. 18mm and 0.9 grams.
  • Options
    Here's what I was thinking about. Not exactly a match, but the style seems similar and may provide a hook for you to start with. The size suggests its a pfennig/penny.

Good luck! And please be sure to share the results when you find it...

linky!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I was thinking that it was a German States piece, for some weird reason, but the general area of Austria makes sense. I do not have a good guide for medieval pieces. Is there a go to guide for these? Thanks again. -Dan
  • Options
    You may be right - and to me Austria/German states of the period are kinda in the same area. Also, the headress on the obverse looks like that of a bishop.

Is there a go to guide for these?

I'm sure there is, but this is way outside of my area too. I'm also sure someone will be along directly to nail this down for you.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow if thats what it is then I am way off. Again an area I dont collect. Interesting.
  • Options
    Actually, I got this piece in a junk box. My first thought was Mayan and bought it thinking that. But, after looking at it, changed my thoughts on it. I have had German pieces that were hammered and squared off around the center like this piece so am leaning towards Europe. However, I really have no clue. So your guess is just as good as ours. -Dan
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    My first thought was a Mayan amulet , with remains of green enamel ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Here's one like the coin you posted:

Link

Rotate the coin side on the second image (yours) in a way that the "castle tower" would be standing straight, the two heads (Bishop and Duke) will become apparent.

Jose
  • Options
    Thank you for the help guys! image
  • Options
    That is a very interesting coin. May I ask where you got it from?

Have you tried doing a search under images instead of a normal search with the names of what you may think it is? Maybe that might turn up a hit.

Good luck.