Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Offending Possibly: Please no more Death and Taxes and Health Issues Posts

Not sure about others, but I come here for HAPPINESS and FUN ! I don't think anyone comes here to hear about the horrors of life. This is a hobby site, where many of us escape for goodness in the world. I apologize in advance if offending. Don't be buzz killing the hobby. To each, they have their own. Excuse to those with friends and family here but, there are no 'all righteous' members responses to this that would not just bring more bummer.

This is hobby site, a HOBBY site. Don't bring depressed stuff here. Let us enjoy happily.

Comments

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Wrong..this is where family comes to share in a lifestyle....You are a Shorttimer and wouldn't understand.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The worst part is that he's using an avatar pic I uploaded.
  • Options

<< <i>Wrong..this is where family comes to share in a lifestyle....You are a Shorttimer and wouldn't understand. >>

Are you actually serious ? A message board is family activity ? Man, I don't think you get life. I gather you are stating 'the board is a family'. Mr. Mint, you got demons. Again, there are no replies to this that will not bring more bummer. Let it go.

GDM, maybe finish one of those 'Registry sets' ya got out there ?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please do not tell people what they are allowed to post. If you find a post negative or "unhappy" just skip it and move on.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Understood. Will hold. (still depressing when depressing isn't expected)
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please do not tell people what they are allowed to post. If you find a post negative or "unhappy" just skip it and move on.

Joe >>

+1

It's not that difficult..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just don't click the threads and read them. Problem solved.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I'm with you HankAint. The only sob stories that should be shared on this board are when you get bad grades or when you open a bad run of wax. This is a message board and unless I meet you face to face or make a deal with you you're just characters on a computer screen.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    OT = off topic. not hard to skip them if you don't like having emotions or caring about other people.

and lulz at the concept of a bad PSA pop being a legitimate 'horror of life', but a real life issue being off limits, btw.

edit to note that you're talking about the difficulty of skipping past a grand total of 5 threads of the last 200+.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    So there is only two allowable topics now. 1. Bad grade poppage and 2. A bad run of wax.
    Brillant. The weekends here are brutal.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>So there is only two allowable topics now. 1. Bad grade poppage and 2. A bad run of wax.
    Brillant. The weekends here are brutal. >>

to be fair, I think that you are allowed to talk about other topics if you've met mcolney (and only mcolney) face to face. these new rules are tough but fair.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you actually serious ? A message board is family activity ? Man, I don't think you get life. I gather you are stating 'the board is a family'. Mr. Mint, you got demons. Again, there are no replies to this that will not bring more bummer. Let it go. GDM, maybe finish one of those 'Registry sets' ya got out there ? >>

Way to go about winning friends on influencing people. Keep up the good work.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Gio you are a trip..image
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm with you, OP. The type of posts you mentioned really dampen my enthusiasm for the fresh "what should I do about being overcharged for shipping?" and "block this seller even though it's really me who's the nutjob" threads.
  • Options
    Wow.

At least for me, I think part of what makes card collecting fun/interesting is getting to know others who also enjoy the hobby.

In this day and age where everything is digital, everyone is busy, and we all lead VERY different lives...it is nice to celebrate something that brings us together.

Sharing personal details of our lives -- whether it is tragedy or celebrating -- just cements us together more as a community.

If you don't like it, don't click on it. I'm of the opinion if you want to share....do it.

1957: PSA 8 +
    1974: PSA 8 +
    1975-1979: PSA 9+
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    While I can understand where the OP is coming from, I can't agree with it.

Some people come here (like the op, I assume) to just read about cards, etc.

Some of us come here for more. Such as interaction with humans with have similar interests, that we would have otherwise never met. If you come here for this reason, you can't be so cold to say "I care about your '52 Mantle but couldn't care less about you". When you meet with a member of the human family, it comes with good as well as the bad. The bad is what brings us closer together. It makes us care about and appreciate each other.

In the event that you see a thread title that you may think is 'depressing', no one is forcing you to click on and read it.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Taxes on card/ebay sales ? The health of the hobby ? The death of a player, for example Ron Santo not long back, and his post mortem election to the Hall ? Acceptable topics or not ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>I'm with you, OP. The type of posts you mentioned really dampen my enthusiasm for the fresh "what should I do about being overcharged for shipping?" and "block this seller even though it's really me who's the nutjob" threads. >>

I cannot tell if this is sincere or brilliant sarcasm.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options

<< <i>Taxes on card/ebay sales ? The health of the hobby ? The death of a player, for example Ron Santo not long back, and his post mortem election to the Hall ? Acceptable topics or not ? >>

All to be stricken. We need to bring back threads of true value to the HOBBY, like this ode to intelligence.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    If a post is unacceptable a moderator will delete said post. Problem solved... next? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Although I'm not big on OT posts, I have met quite a few people on here who I would consider friends regardless whether Ive met them in person or not and I am interested in what many of them have to say even if its about cards or not. Keep in mind also that to others, maybe writing an off topic such as a big thing going on in there lives, this might be there only way to channel out there frustrations at the moment and communicate for the time being so I welcome that. I have a lot more tolerance for that than say, a post about an joining an online poker forum such as we recently had. If you want to talk about poker, then go to a poker forum or send PM's to your buddies on here asking them to join.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

I enjoy reading about others on the board.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    You forgot to put "OT" in the title of this post image

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Hank.

From one POV, I can understand your position tho IMO a bit short sighted.

We don't collect in a vacuum.

I've been here for some time now and we all develop varying degrees of "relationships" between one and other.

And for many, collecting along with the relationships built here may represent a good part of the social contact that some may have.

So, to deny that relationship is tantamount to "collecting in a vacuum." And what fun would that be.

I don't PM others as much as some do - but I've made some really nice 'hobby friends' here and when they have a problem - outside the hobby - if I can help - in some way - I would sure like to do so.

Chris Stufflestreet died of a heart attack last week - at the age of 39 - tho I have never met him - I felt like I lost a friend.

Last - I think - when you've posted here for a while - you'll find that a key reason many of us come here is inspired by those relationships - and the posts you referenced are integral to those personal connections we make.

So - respectfully - I appreciate your request but think it best you just "by-pass" those threads - they're almost always easy to ID by their title.

Every thread offers two options - read or don't read.
    Mike
  • Options
    I miss the Open Forum.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options

<< <i>I miss the Open Forum. >>

me too. i need a hug. image
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm with you, OP. The type of posts you mentioned really dampen my enthusiasm for the fresh "what should I do about being overcharged for shipping?" and "block this seller even though it's really me who's the nutjob" threads. >>

I cannot tell if this is sincere or brilliant sarcasm. >>

+1 for brilliant sarcasm
  • Options
    I have no problem with posts pertaining to personal lives of board members. I believe that is one of the things that helps make this forum a "community".

I could very, very much do without the "RIP" threads every time anyone in the world dies. If the person who passed is/was an athlete, or someone with some connection to the hobby, fine. I can see why that would belong here. But if not, I find it incredibly tiresome.
    Yes, I realize I can simply 'not open the thread' if it doesn't interest me. But when it happens, everyone else's threads get moved down a notch- which shouldn't happen.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>Hiya Hank.

From one POV, I can understand your position tho IMO a bit short sighted.

We don't collect in a vacuum.

I've been here for some time now and we all develop varying degrees of "relationships" between one and other.

And for many, collecting along with the relationships built here may represent a good part of the social contact that some may have.

So, to deny that relationship is tantamount to "collecting in a vacuum." And what fun would that be.

I don't PM others as much as some do - but I've made some really nice 'hobby friends' here and when they have a problem - outside the hobby - if I can help - in some way - I would sure like to do so.

Chris Stufflestreet died of a heart attack last week - at the age of 39 - tho I have never met him - I felt like I lost a friend.

Last - I think - when you've posted here for a while - you'll find that a key reason many of us come here is inspired by those relationships - and the posts you referenced are integral to those personal connections we make.

So - respectfully - I appreciate your request but think it best you just "by-pass" those threads - they're almost always easy to ID by their title.

Every thread offers two options - read or don't read. >>

Very well said Mike. Thank you for posting this.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hank is a Troll and a part time illiterate "gangsta" wannabe
  • Options
    Nice sig line pinkhat. Overcompensate much?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice sig line pinkhat. Overcompensate much? >>

Cmon Levi, you of all people should not be talking about hats and overcompensating image
  • Options
    Hi Perkdog ! excuse me ? Just because I cut down Bellychick you get all girly mad and call me names ? Whaaa. I only stated an opinion with this post, saw a few responses, and backed off it.

You guys talk big about those Patrotts, the only thng you got now is for them to win the Bowl, else, you lose.

It is cute though, calling me names, while wearing that silly red hat.
  • Options
    o/t--- hate to see how your going to react to $6.00 a gallon for milk coming down the pike their predicting,,, probably coplete the unsatisfied feelings for coming on the board here with all our problems,,, lol
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Perkdog ! excuse me ? Just because I cut down Bellychick you get all girly mad and call me names ? Whaaa. I only stated an opinion with this post, saw a few responses, and backed off it.

You guys talk big about those Patrotts, the only thng you got now is for them to win the Bowl, else, you lose.

It is cute though, calling me names, while wearing that silly red hat. >>

Like I said...

Illiterate
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Perkdog ! excuse me ? Just because I cut down Bellychick you get all girly mad and call me names ? Whaaa. I only stated an opinion with this post, saw a few responses, and backed off it.

Like I said...

Illiterate >>

You managed to make Gio and Levi mad in one post. Advance to go and collect $200.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>o/t--- hate to see how your going to react to $6.00 a gallon for milk coming down the pike their predicting,,, probably coplete the unsatisfied feelings for coming on the board here with all our problems,,, lol >>

Will cheese go with it? If so, will ballpark nachos shoot up to $25? How could any of us not be angry at that?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    What about birthdays and anniversarys? Anyways happy birthday Rod Carew and Mark McGwire!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Like I said...

Illiterate >>

You managed to make Gio and Levi mad in one post. Advance to go and collect $200. >>

• Options
    Guys, keep my post alive ! It's starting to help me with my sleep apnea affliction.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    How about more threads about ebay auctions that show man hands? Would that make you happier?image

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

easily my least favorite card in the collection.
  • Options
    Did you know that Brett Butler shares his birthday with Dougie Howser.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys, keep my post alive ! It's starting to help me with my sleep apnea affliction. >>

There lies the truth, it sounds like you have only had to deal with sleep apnea, others have had much more tragic things happen.

BTW I am routing for you, I hope your health and loved ones health stays good.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Did you know that Dougie Howser, Doug E. Fresh, and Hauser from Total Recall (Arnold version) are all second cousins?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you know that Dougie Howser, Doug E. Fresh, and Hauser from Total Recall (Arnold version) are all second cousins? >>

All of those guys are Facebook friends of Kevin Bacon.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Are we actually speaking about Doogie Howser? The TV kid MD?

Or is there some guy named Dougie Howser too?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Im still waiting on a pic of Levi in one of his queer hats at a show
This discussion has been closed.