Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Milk Spots on 25th Ann. ASE Proofs...Advice Needed!

I have some sets of the 25th Anniversary Eagles in PCGS holders and noticed today after putting them out of sight for four months that some of the Proof Ws are developing spots. Bummer....both of my PR70s and one 69 have spots. I didn't notice any on the reverse proofs or other coins. Needless to say, I'm super bummed as I love these sets--though the keys don't look affected (knock on wood).

I know PCGS does a spot review, but I've never used it. Are they charging for this now? Also, is this worth it? (ie, can a PR70 coin still be a 70 with spots? A 69?)

How should I proceed?

Thanks for any advice.

-PF
Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell them and then pay particular attention to your storage.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    A quick eBay search shows about $95-100 for ASE 70 w spots versus $120 for coins with no mention of spots in description. After fees/postage you'd net $80-85 . After your purchase you would be out $40 per coin for a spotless 70
    I have 14 coins from the 25th set in for spot review , they were received about 10 weeks ago. I will be out postage , but in the past -sending in 70s for spot review- I have always received either a check or a good looking coin. I'm not sure what they would do about a 69 -spots maybe acceptable ? I'll post my results ,hopefully soon.
  • Options
    They have generally been kept in a dry cool environment, in the PCGS boxes--is there something else I should be doing storage-wise?

Drfish, I'm definitely curious on how your spot reviews go. Good luck!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sell them and then pay particular attention to your storage.

bobimage >>

How do you store ASE's such that you are guaranteed to never get milk spots?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you will be attending a coin show where PCGS is set up, you can save yourself the shipping/insurance costs by dropping them off at PCGS's table and letting then fix them or buy them back from you. I wouldn't just sell them since it will be difficult to get fair value with the milk spots.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have some sets of the 25th Anniversary Eagles in PCGS holders and noticed today after putting them out of sight for four months that some of the Proof Ws are developing spots. Bummer....both of my PR70s and one 69 have spots. I didn't notice any on the reverse proofs or other coins. Needless to say, I'm super bummed as I love these sets--though the keys don't look affected (knock on wood).

I know PCGS does a spot review, but I've never used it. Are they charging for this now? Also, is this worth it? (ie, can a PR70 coin still be a 70 with spots? A 69?)

How should I proceed?

Thanks for any advice.

-PF >>

guarantee policy

guarantee submission pricing

I think the 70s are eligible for compensation, the 69s are not because spotting is considered typical for the grade.

Call customer service.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of mine are still raw no issues here.

<<How do you store ASE's such that you are guaranteed to never get milk spots?>>

I don't believe there is a method. The way I understand it is, when the Mint rinses the planchets
    some of the rinse is not totally rinsed off. The rinse dries on the planchet and when struck, the area of
    dried rinse is impressed into the coin. Over time this dried rinse area reacts with the environment and a milkspot is born.
    Some spot some don't, it's a phenomena that has plagued the ASE series since 1986.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    At this point I am pretty sure there is no charge for spot review, you can call PCGS to confirm. If there truly is a $25 charge per coin plus shipping to/from PCGS then you'd come out ahead to sell/buy at EBay. If spot review is currently free (that has gone back/forth at PCGS) I believe you'll do better to go that route assuming you have 2-3 months for a resolution.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Since you brought up spot review here I was curious about toning issues on gold proofs. Anyone have any success sending in Spouse or Eagle proofs getting the toning spots off?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    I have sent two 08w Buffalos in that had developed one to two red spots. Both were conserved and retained their 70 grades. I have a couple gold eagles that are evenly and attractively toned that I will leave as is .
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have sent two 08w Buffalos in that had developed one to two red spots. Both were conserved and retained their 70 grades. I have a couple gold eagles that are evenly and attractively toned that I will leave as is . >>

Thanks for the report. I have some $10 proofs in PCGS 70 that have developed some toning near the rim mostly. It doesn't strike me a being too much of a negative now but if it got worse I was wondering what the success rate was for that. I also have a Dolly in PCGS MS70 that has some kind of splotchy patches. I think that is a neg.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot reviews are no longer free. PCGS quietly did away with that months ago.

If the coin can be conserved/rescued the fee is $25.

If the coin cannot be conserved but still merits its grade the fee is $25.

If the coin downgrades, with or without conservation, then there is no fee and the guarantee kicks in.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Lance, when I sent in my 14 ASEs a little over ten weeks ago it was free. Maybe my submission was the tipping point image
  • Options
    Lance, when I sent in my ASEs a little over ten weeks ago it was free. A PCGS rep posted on this board right before I sent mine that spot review was once again no charge. If they've gone back to charging for spot review, maybe my 14 coin submission was the tipping point image
  • Options

It is fairly to charge $25 for a higher value coin, say over $500 or so, but for a $100 coin, it really doesn't make sense to spend $25 for review even though I already spent $14+$18 to grade it.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    OK, I'll try to call PCGS early this week and let you guys know what the verdict is.
  • Options
    There definatly is a $25 fee plus postage per coin. I just sent in 20 2009 MS70's with bad milk spots. If the coin downgrades (which they should) they refund the $25 grading fee, offer you the retail difference in the new grade vs old grade, or just buy the coin back. When I called them prior to sending in, they said that they would try and fix them first, but I don't see how they could as spots were bad and keep the integrity of the ms70 grade.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Spot reviews are no longer free. PCGS quietly did away with that months ago.

If the coin can be conserved/rescued the fee is $25.

If the coin cannot be conserved but still merits its grade the fee is $25.

If the coin downgrades, with or without conservation, then there is no fee and the guarantee kicks in.
    Lance. >>

This is correct. I posted on this several months back regarding some ms70 age w uncs. They came back with no spots and I paid $25.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Meant to add...it's no longer called spot review. I forget what it's called but I had to write it on the submission form. Call customer service and they'll take care of u. Good luck. Sorry to hear of the spots on your coins.
  • Options
    Sorry for another post. It's hard to edit in this forum on my Droid.

I meant to add that I was told that each coin is personally reviewed by the boss and that there is no turnaround time quoted.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, Raufus! Always appreciated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file