Home Precious Metals
Options

Why are these silver bars bid up so high?

What am I missing? United silver bars on eBay

I know 5 oz'er go for a premium and as I post this they are still under $200/bar, but is there something special about these? They almost look like some kind of E-har knock-off.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    I've never seen those type of bars but I'm not sure they should sell for much of a premium.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    $52/oz now! Stop the madness. And people say my prices are high here LOL. Maybe I just know what my stuff is worth, ever think of that? image
    There's always someone out there willing to pay what premium stuff is worth, and if you're willing to put up with all the eBay crap, that's your venue.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pieces,

apparently these were produced by Engelhard for united.

United probably added the stamp at a later time.

I would thing that these are actually more rare than your average 5oz poured Engelhard bars.

I'm wondering if this thread wasn't started what the closing price wood be.

I certainly didn't see these....

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    Well Luke, I will say that I absolutely have no association with the seller, and if someone here is willing to pay that kind of $, my broker fee for making them aware of these bars is only 6% image
  • Options

<< <i>Well Luke, I will say that I absolutely have no association with the seller, and if someone here is willing to pay that kind of $, my broker fee for making them aware of these bars is only 6% image >>

You have $36.60 comming to you
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    lol Numbers...I wont hold my breath.
    I'd bet someone here won them. As soon as I posted it here, the bid jumped from $425 to $546 in a matter of moments.
    They ended going for $305/bar.

Note to self: These fall into the category of "garbage silver bars" if I ever come across them again.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they sold for that high price only because I was not the seller. They would have sold for 28 bucks an ounce (after fees) if I sold them image
  • Options
    they sold for that high price only because I was not the seller. They would have sold for 28 bucks an ounce (after fees) if I sold them

You too, huh Barndog? I thought I was the only one on eBay that ends up letting stuff go dirt cheap even with almost 9 years of 100% positive fb. image
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Maybe just hit perfect timing with having the right bidders at the right time?
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LukeMarshall nailed the reason why these two 5oz "undocumented Engelhard" bars sold as high as they did.

Also check the thread I started earlier this month about a similar 10 oz United bar for more specifics. Yesterday another 10 oz United bar (logo at center vs side) sold for $47/oz.

I did not purchase the two 5 oz bars as I did not notice the auction. If I had I would have bid at least $600. IMO the buyer chose wisely.
  • Options
    A friend mentioned first time we met, some time ago... "But choose wisely..."

May the winner of this recent auction continue wise decisions as it seems they are becoming increasingly more difficult in today's market.

“Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone did choose wisely IMO also.

I had my browser set at 601.00 but my phone freaked out on me during the last seconds.

It wouldn't have mattered anyway as the winning bid was 9bucks above that.

Cheers

Edit: also added

It's all about what the people want...