Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS changes display for Modern Type sets

Scrolling through the Modern Type sets and couldn't find one of my set categories, only to find that PCGS has changed the display. Now, the 20th Century MS with Varieties and the 20th Century MS Major Types are both listed on the same page. The combined MS & PR sets are now both listed on a single page as well. If I remember right, the only Modern Type sets left for PCGS are the two Proof only sets.

Keith
Keith ™

Comments

• Options
    I don't like it this way. Each set deserves it's own page.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    They also managed to lose my basic set in the transition...GRRR!

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    RELLA,

I have had to enter in the set each time. If you already had a set entered, check with BJ and she may be able to help you with it.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I got a message from BJ yesterday saying that DH had decided not to do proof only 20th century for now. So, what we see now is probably what we will get.

I also asked about the basic type set idea. BJ said that is still in the hopper and likely to go up when they start working on the weights for the complete type sets.

Thats what I know.

Greg S.
  • Options
    I guess there are too many type sets, the main list of type sets was getting too cluttered. Now the list of sets is too cluttered.

What was that logic on registering every possible gold set? I'll bet I can register a lot of incomplete gold sets...

TypeTone, Thanks for the news about the lack of proof only type set. That was going to get my main attention. Really I'd like a complete proof type set, no gold image

• Options
    Just my opinion, but I think that PCGS could do some consolidating already:

Gold -- Kill the 8 coin 20th Century Design set or the 12 coin Basic Gold Type Set. It is the same pair of sets, except one requires a few coins from the mid to late 1800's. Kill the 20th Century Proof set, it will not be used in the future by anyone.

Modern Type sets -- No real need for a Combined Set. The proof guys will dominate it in points, and whether you are a MS or PR guy, you only have to buy a few extras.

20th Century sets -- Eliminate the Major Type sets. The With Varieties sets are the set of choice for the collectors. Then, add a 20th Century proof only set. I bet that there are more people besides Carl who would be willing to go for the early date coins in proof grades too. Once you get past the current stuff, proof coins can be found toned and with character that you don't see on the modern date proof material.

Keith

Keith ™

• Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything Keith suggested.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Keith:

In gold, I would kill the 8 piece 20th century and keep the 12 piece set. After all if you are doing gold type, there is no reason to insist on 20th Lib coins. The 19th centruy versions are just as good. I guess the same applies to Barbers in our sets, but that's an issue for another day.

Greg
  • Options
    What I don't get about the basic sets is that you require 2 of each coin (Liberty and Indian/Saint). Why not require a Classic Head or Capped Head?

Instead of a Basic Gold Type set, we really have a Basic Type set 1838-1933. I agree that the 8 piece is probably the one that ought to go. So far, the 12 piece set has had a lot of success, and is a good bridge to get people interested in the earlier gold. The Type 1 & 3 gold dollars are inexpensive in lower MS grades, and even the Type 2 and the $3 gold are not bad up to AU.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    NO! You just leave that 8 peice gold set alone.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Gold dollars are cool Bill. Trust me on that one. Just look at Carl's icon. image

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    I got one question? What is a crown like that doing on an american coin? Aren't those kind of crowns for royalty?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    It's an Indian headdress of some kind.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Keith. Get rid of all the superfluous Registries. -Just as long as one of my sets is not in it. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    Thanks for the kind icon comments! T3 gold: some weird European girl dressed up as an American Indian wearing who know what on her head! And I love it... At least there is a band across the headress saying "LIBERTY". Or at least it is supposed to say liberty, mine is more like "LIB TY". LOL image
  • Options
    If I was going to go gaga over a gold coin it would be one of the following:

GOLD COIN 1

GOLD COIN 2
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I needed a better look at that head gear and yes I see the feathers now.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I thought that was a standing rib roast... you know, with the little puffy paper thing on top of the bone ends!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!