Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How can these both be PSA 4 (59 Mantle and Killebrew)?

I honestly thought I was going to get a 5.5, 6 or 6.5 on the Mantle, but I think I was in denial about the corners. When I first started submitting cards, I didn't really pay attention to centering and all I looked at was corners. With this Mantle, the corners are soft but the surface is glossy and the centering is great. There are no creases, wrinkles or dimples. However, there does appear to be a small (fingernail?) indentation along the top border. Is that enough to knock it down?

Comments

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Cant see the image, but if it has an indentation that could knock it down as low as a 2 depending if there is a rip in the paper.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Now I see the image and that is a very nice card. I can not see the fingernail dent that you speak of.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • The dent isn't noticeable in the scan; you have to hold it at an angle under the light.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    My guess would be a minute wrinkle in there. Resub it!

"Molon Labe"

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 59 Mantle is a PSA 4 also and looks a lot better as well
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>The dent isn't noticeable in the scan; you have to hold it at an angle under the light. >>

Great eye-appeal for a 4. However, scans can never show you the whole report card for a card. You can see a lot more in-hand than you can from a scan.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • I keep looking for a wrinkle and can't find it. Hopefully they weren't mad that it was in a $100 special.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have to say they are graded accurately, but the Mantle does have great eye appeal. Nice card.

• << <i>I would have to say they are graded accurately, but the Mantle does have great eye appeal. Nice card. >>

+1

Heres my 1959 Aaron in a 5. I would say your corners are why its a 4.

• Wow, nice Aaron. Why is it a 5?
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    hte mantle could easily be a 5 any other day if it looks like it does in the scan in person. the killebrew corners look a bit more ratty , especially the upper left and with that centering is in the right holder
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shooty brings up a good point. i don't care what problems the mantle has, including a small wrinkle, the mantle looks at least 2 grades better than the killebrew. shouldn't overall eye appeal matter. I doubt anyone who compares these two cards would grade them the same including PSA. someone has dropped the ball badly. the grader of the mantle owes someone an apology and the owner of the killebrew should feel very fortunate. send the scans to joe and let him give his opinion. i think he has a hard time justfiying this one.

mantle grades

centering 9

corners 5

surface 5

edges 7

that translates into a 5.5. this is what shooty thought and i think also.

killebrew grades

centering 3

corners 3

surface 7

edges 5

maybe a 3.5, probably a 3
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the Killebrew and Mantle appear to have paper loss at the corners. Mantle is obviously better centered. Would love to know how to determine surface by looking at a scan.

Cards look properly graded with the possible exception that the Mantle might get a .5 bump for centering. PSA is still inconsistent with this as far as I am concerned.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Just to be clear, I didn't think the Killebrew should be graded any higher; it's just that the Mantle looks so much better. Here is another PSA 4 that I received from the same submission and it has surface scratches and is a much uglier card than the #10.

imageimage
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    One is high end for the grade, the other is not. We all probably have cards
    in our collections like these. The Mantle could be a 5, never a 6 let alone a 6.5.
    Good for you.