Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pope Sixtus II 257-258 AD Papal Medal info needed.

Hey guys. Here is a Pope Sixtus II medal from the restitution series. Does anyone have any info from CNORP they could share as I do not have a copy? This medal appears to correspond to Spink #44.
Any info from any of you pro's would be greatly appreciated.
The medal is 32.5 g and 41 mm's.
Thanks in advance guys.
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Both Mazio and CNORP begin their detailed catalogues with Martin in 1417. Maybe someone with better Italian skills can glean something else from the text, but CNORP doesn't seem to provide a lot of specific info on the various "restitution" series beyond dividing them into reverse types and a lengthy summary table of popes and types identified. The various restitution series, such as your medal, were produced to "fill in the blanks" for collectors wanting something from each pope beginning with St. Peter. They are collected, but in my experience generally not with the same intensity and same level of premiums as those of Martin and his successors.

CNORP also indicates that the reverse type with tiara (type 8) over crossed keys, with the same legend as yours, was also produced for this pope. I agree it is Spink 44 which indicates a better than average premium, altho I'm not sure how reliable that is for these.

The parallel keys type (type 2) is dated to the beginning in the second half of the 16th century. Not sure for how long it was produced but this type seems to be common and was produced for most popes predating Martin V.

Hope that helps a bit...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks STLNATS,
    Your always there to help and your help is always appreciated.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    YW - per Red Green, we're all in this together (unless you bid against me of course!)

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Just to add a little to what STLNATS stated. The second type he mentioned with tiara over crossed keys (type 8) is ascribed to a separate group of restitution medals based on stylistic differences. That group features a variety of 10 reverse types, while the group yours is from features 3 reverse types (both groups are dated to the second half of the 16th century). The other two reverse types from your group are bust of St. Peter with crossed keys and Veronica's veil, though the type of your medal is the more common reverse type for the different popes.

For this group, Modesti notes that the iconography of the reverse types matches to the Counter-Reformation and the task of popularizing the Roman Catholic Church to the masses. He also notes that many are found with small suspension holes over the head of the Pope, suggesting their devotional use, e.g., sewn on clothes by pilgrims during Jubilees.