Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hey, Andy! Darkside alert.

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I bought something amazing today. An 1847 8R from the Central American Republic in PCGS MS66. And if I were assigning the grade from scratch, I'd call it a 67+.

Something that I never thought I'd buy, but it was just that nice that I couldn't resist.

Comments

  • Options
    Aw, that's not a darkside. They were legal tender in the U.S. until 1857. image

    Sounds like a cool coin. Can't wait to see!
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Now, some important advice: These coins are best collected by TYPE! In other words, you won't be needing any more of these, please.
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Congrats! Now, some important advice: These coins are best collected by TYPE! In other words, you won't be needing any more of these, please. >>



    I was with you until the 'please' image

    I can't wait to see it as well.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN - How does your coin compare to this one? image


    image
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that item looks familiar . . .
  • Options
    Those are great pieces, I've thought of a series
    imageimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are great pieces, I've thought of a series

    Oh, man, this is going oh so wrong....
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Great strikes on the other examples, I went with the color on mine, something to upgrade down the road.
    And I was only kidding about the series, probably just a few examples.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins are so cool image
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, another GREAT idea for a side project! AL, your sandbox just might get a tad crowded.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muahhh Ha ha Ha ha, Welcome to the Darkside

    Steve

    The Power of the Darkside
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about CAR in gold............................by dateimage
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cat leaving bag alert! Sorry Andy...

    Darkside collecting sucks btw. Not worth it and too easy to find nice stuff. Not worthy of most serious collectors attention...

    How was that?
  • Options
    If I was more Internet savoy I would hit TDN up with the classic "this thread is worthless without pictures" picture
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If I was more Internet savoy I would hit TDN up with the classic "this thread is worthless without pictures" picture >>



    Andy put them up already
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning coin - congrats! image
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The image Andy posted doesn't come close to capturing that coin. Great additionimage
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>If I was more Internet savoy I would hit TDN up with the classic "this thread is worthless without pictures" picture >>



    Andy put them up already >>



    ahhhhh I see said the blind man, I thought it was a comparison coin. Very nice, where is the salt damage on such a gem?

    This is my contribution
    image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love those coins and I'm considering purchasing a couple. Lets see it....CHD
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time studying TDN's piece and can say without a doubt that it is pretty cool.

    Sort of wish it was still in my hands...

    njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I was lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time studying TDN's piece and can say without a doubt that it is pretty cool.

    Sort of wish it was still in my hands...

    njcc >>



    Was that the coin you showed me earlier this year? I think it was at the last Baltimore show prior to summer.

    I was just thinking of it, wondering if it was still available and ... well, too late now.

    Great coin, TDN!

    EVP

    How does one get a hater to stop hating?

    I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN, I have seen that coin in hand.......

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    I am very surprised it went to a collector like yourself.

    How about collecting the best graded silver dollar size crowns of the world by type? image

    You have the means to potentially exceed the famous Millenia Collection!

    That would be a fun endeavor.

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file