Home Precious Metals
Options

Looks like another California City may bite the dust......

At-water California may pull the trigger on October 3rd 2012
At-water California Mulls Bankruptcy

had to hyphenate do to naughty word embeded in At-water (filter will not allow the spelling of this near bankrupt california city)

edited ugh.... and therefore will not allow the linkimage

NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish every municipality would declare so the ship can finally be righted. These are very good developments.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish every municipality would declare so the ship can finally be righted. These are very good developments.

I agree - it is a necessary recognition of the realities, but it isn't over by any stretch. Do you think California is going to get a federal bailout at some point? If that happens, what's next?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish every municipality would declare so the ship can finally be righted. These are very good developments.

I agree - it is a necessary recognition of the realities, but it isn't over by any stretch. Do you think California is going to get a federal bailout at some point? If that happens, what's next? >>

Does it matter?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it matter?

Yes?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does it matter?

Yes? >>

Size matters.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole San Joaquin valley is a mess as water regs concerning the non-native delta smelt have made water rationing a major problem. At*water is just the tip of the iceberg. The base closing killed At*water.

If you want to get an interesting viewpoint on why central California is the next Appalachia in America....google Victor Davis Hanson and find his article on the decline of our Central Valley....some of the richest farmland in the world and the food basket of America. The title of the article is not politically correct but the article is spot on.

Maybe someone could link it. EYEOPENING for you easterners who are a little vague on California's problems. As California goes...so goes the nation since 1849, BTW and it is still true to this day.

Re. Pensions from CALPERS,
    Post 1999 public employees in CAL. cannot have their pensions reduced. They saw to that with pension benefits written in stone. It will take at least another 20 years for old hires to start dropping off the rolls. A customer of my business is a police chief 1986 retiree and is making about $75,000 in retirement. One of his watch commanders that he hired out of college retired post 1999 and is currently 55 and making $150,000 in retirement. Go figure.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole State should go bankrupt, it's way overdue,
    I hate to say it, but I used to be proud to be from the
    Golden State, I'm not so sure anymore. It's like the
    State of California (The Golden State) Peel back the Gold
    and your gonna find Tungstenimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    The whole state of california is in dire straits
    While it may have some bright spots due to technology, without manufacturing, overzealous projects, pension programs and social programs have crashed our budgets.
    And at the same time most of califronia is economically depressed and getting worse. This is just the tip of municipalities and cities, that will have to go bankrupt soon here in california.
  • Options
    Streeter,

I fully agree with your assesment of Victor Davis Hansen and his work. He has lived and breathed it, and knows it all too well first hand.

As you say he is spot on, and unless every other state in this union doesn't learn some lessons from California quickly..... well.... hope you like speaking a foreign language.

Political correctness has doomed this country, and unless that naive brainless agenda is abandoned, and replaced with good o'l yankee grit, we will continue to have it used against us in the most cynical, diabolical and destructive ways.
  • Options

<< <i>The whole State should go bankrupt, it's way overdue,
    I hate to say it, but I used to be proud to be from the
    Golden State, I'm not so sure anymore. It's like the
    State of California (The Golden State) Peel back the Gold
    and your gonna find Tungstenimage

Steve >>

Steve there are quite a few reasons why California is in this state of active decay. One of the MAIN reasons lies with TED KENNEDY and the year 1965, he promised the nation that it would not have a detrimental effect on our country, he was lying when he said it then and he died with it as his legacy. The legislation he touted and forced upon this nation, will and is destroying the America that was fought so hard for to create, and to preserve. Its amazing how much devastation that one man can exact upon an entire nation.

He was honored by the sitting destroyer in chief and their mission is progressing well. Its time people to wake up and Vote !! That we may preserve, or at least prolong this great experiment.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I correct to assume that most of these cities that have been going bankrupt have Democrat governments running them?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I correct to assume that most of these cities that have been going bankrupt have Democrat governments running them? >>

The whole state tends to lean that way, but the problem of unrealistic public sector pension promises (major cause of the bankruptcy) was supported by all candidtates who wanted to gain public sector employee votes. The bankruptcy issue is in discussion all across the nation and is surfacing first in areas hit hardest by drops in tax revenues. As you can see from other posts it's easy to blame "the other guys" if it supports your crusade. What they don't tell you, and many don't want to realize themselves, is that their guys are really no different when it comes to fleecing the taxpayer and selling out for votes. They're all crooked, they just bend in different directions.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its only the start image
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnny...It's only the start..
    You got that right but BROWN & SACRAMENTO & PUBLIC SECTOR UNIONS are still putting multiple measures on the ballot calling for more tax revenue...only they hide the request in obscure language. I hope the voters get it. An able bodied worker with a paycheck has about an aggregate 60% tax obligation in CAL right now.

Numbers,
    If one is in manufacturing and service( which I am)...we already need to be multi lingual for the last 20+ years. My 2 years of Espanol in grade school in the mid 60's was not enough. I understand 90% of a couple of different tongues but my foreman speaks 3 languages & nothing gets by him. That kid is going to go places. Can you imagine what it feels like to be a 59 year old UC Berkeley Chemistry graduate being corrected by a 25 year old Hispanic foreman who has the common sense never to correct me in front of the workers? Very humbling indeed. I teach him theory and he goes on his Iphone and googles my advice and asks me questions the next day I cannot answer. Maybe senility is creeping up on me.

Our central valley has 7 of the top 10 highest unemployment cities in the nation. All DEM controlled little minority fiefdoms. When will they learn? Hopefully in time. The drug gangs grow pot in the rural areas on public and private land, there is very little tax base, and the farmers are screaming but the FED regs will not allow the farmers enough water in drought years and the workers line up to get Chinese canned food in the unemployment line. Our 2 Senators and a couple of 'important' legislators champion the delta smelt and tout our conservation of resources and environmental mindset and the workers are on welfare. Go figure.
    Have a nice day