Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

NEEDED: EXPERT ADVICE FROM THE BOARD MILE HIGH VS. MEMORY LANE CONSIGNMENT

I would like as many opinions as possible from the board members here. Here's the situation.

If you had a item with a value between $4K-$10K and you were going to sell it which company would you sell it through. Both companys are excited to sell it and will give it a good placement and highlight it. one company has a 19% buyers premium and the other consigns for 10%. Which one is the better deal do you think. If you have prior experience selling through both could you please tell me how it went.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
I know it's going to be tough!

Comments

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Many times when you have a decent item you can negotiate a better percentage on the sellers premium. Have you tried to do this with either auction house? I know of many people who were able to negotiate and ended up with a rate that was acceptable to both parties.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Memory Lane hands down

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    MILE HIGH VS. MEMORY LANE = NETHER!

Go to www.LoveoftheGameAuctions.com and talk to Al, he'll treat you right and give your items the attention they deserve.

That's just my two cents. Good luck with whomever you choose.

Edited to add: You can probably get a zero % sellers fee at Love of the Game.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info so far guys!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Mile High Card Co has done a very good job for me over the years. I have consigned many items from values of $50 to $10000. MH sends out consignors money within 6 weeks or so of the auction close. I have never consigned with Goodwin so I can't give a fair comparison with MH, but I would encourage you to consider them.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Goodwin doesn't charge a seller ANY comission.....ZERO!! That is a big deal in my book. But bear in mind that they charge almost a 20% buyers premium, and bidders usually bid accordingly, accounting for the premium, which the seller gets no part of.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Love of the Game. New auction house but Al used to be the ad agency for REA, Goodwin, and SGC. He knows how to market an auction and I'm sure within months he will have surpassed the mid tier houses. Nice to finally get an honest auctioneer without the checkered past.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

out of those 2 Memory Lane but whoever you go with for that kind of value I would not pay a penny in seller's fees. you should get 100% of price.
  • Options
    depends on the item, if card i'd go with goodwin and negotiate a refund of the buyer's premium.

al's can be an option down the line but not now, too new.
  • Options
    PROBSTEIN FOR PRESIDENT

Reasons

1. Quicker turnaround
    2. Certified check or wire I believe within days of auction
    3. Reputation
    4. Higher eyes on is auction
    5. More money in your pocket. Less vig to the auction house.
    6. With fees ebay and paypal I believe you net around 90%
    DO IT

Barry
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    From what I've witnessed..........Probstein handles items of the $4-10,000 range with no problem and many times gets great prices.

Plus....................am I the only one that thinks 6 weeks to get your money is absurd.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mickey, I'm with you. That is 6 weeks AFTER the auction closes, and often 3-4 months after consignment.
    I consigned a few items to the last Mastro in Fall '08. Besides a whole bunch of things that weren't kosher, 1 item sold very low, and was then sold on ebay for double what it went for 2 weeks later. The buyer of my item had his money weeks before I was supposed to.
    Mastro then had their issues and it took about 4 months after the auction to get paid, and 6 months after consignment.
    REA pays right away. If an auction house takes 45 days to pay consignors they shouldn't get paid by buyers in less than 30.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>PROBSTEIN FOR PRESIDENT

Reasons

1. Quicker turnaround
    2. Certified check or wire I believe within days of auction
    3. Reputation
    4. Higher eyes on is auction
    5. More money in your pocket. Less vig to the auction house.
    6. With fees ebay and paypal I believe you net around 90%
    DO IT

Barry >>

7. it's easier to safety bid
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info. Anymore help out there.

Just wanted everyone out there to know the communications going back and forth with Mile High, Memory Lane and Probstein have all been great. They are all very professional and reasonable. My set is nothing too big in the scheme of things but to me it means alot so the choice will be a difficult one. They all offer a very different service and fee structure and now I have to decide which one will return the most.

Mike