Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: Canada 1875H 10 cents

Housed in an old embossed ICCS certificate to boot. GTG if you'd like image

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks EF40 to me.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF20

Nice key date.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICCS vf30

It would grade 40 or 45 at PCGS.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ICCS vf30

It would grade 40 or 45 at PCGS. >>

ICCS grade (old cert) is indeed VF-30. I think between gradeflation and the american TPG companies' tendency to be generous on grading this series/key dates you're right on the second assessment as well. Although these days ICCS might even grade it 40 too.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pokerman, if yours graded ICCS 30
    what do you guys think this one would grade ???
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    ICCS ef40 or 45.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    thank you, I really hope you are right..
    would love to see it at 45.....
    then, who would not?
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    top one looks VF35 (just doesnt look EF but..)and the other one AU53 easy...in hand might be higher image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first is likely VF30 best day

The second is in the AU range- easily 50 and mostlikely higher- what a terrific coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>The first is likely VF30 best day

The second is in the AU range- easily 50 and mostlikely higher- what a terrific coin >>

PCGS AU, not a chance as an AU at ICCS.

Perhaps this is one of the greatest disparities of grading between these two companies.....Victorian grade from VF to AU55.

Look at past coins in this group and see the marked difference between PCGS and ICCS....it's huge.

• Options
    I am confronted with a dilemma now.
    Eventually I will sell this coin, and most likely will have it graded.
    question is this WHICH TPG and why?
  • Options

<< <i>I am confronted with a dilemma now.
    Eventually I will sell this coin, and most likely will have it graded.
    question is this WHICH TPG and why? >>

Canadian market go with ICCS. Canadian buyers know the different grading standards at this level.

US market you have to go with PCGS. An American that collects Canadian, much prefers PCGS.

Personally, since it's a key date, I would go with ICCS and sell it in Canada.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this were my coin, I would send it to PCGS

Keep in mind that grading is subjective and some opinions are better than others. Which opinions are better than others seems to be subjective as well

In looking at this image- look at the size of the image in contrast to the size of a dime and look at the high points of the coin, the lustre and overall originality and draw your own conclusions

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    --

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    YQQ's coin I'd grade as EF-45. Pretty close to AU. I think it would grade EF-45 at ICCS, AU-50 at PCGS or AU-55 at NGC.

Despite some recent inconsistency in grading, ICCS is still #1 for Canadian coins. Certain series of coins (this one included) will often trade at a pretty steep discount in American TPG plastic vs ICCS plastic at the same assigned grade.
  • Options
    These two examples are very consistent with the respective grading company's standards. (I didn't search for hours trying to find an overgraded PCGS coin and an undergraded ICCS coin to make my point. These two just popped up).

You could make a case that even at an ef45, the ICCS coin may be 1/2 a grade better than the au50.

I want to make it clear, I'm not knocking PCGS's grading skills, I'm only pointing out the differences in their philosophies of grading, especially with Canadian coins.

PCGS AU50

ICCS ef45

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill go vf 35/xf40, no more. jmo
  • Options
    all depends when it was graded (year) AND what the other side looks like.
    this obv I think could make AU50 IF Brian or Scott (ICCS) have a good day...most certainly better than my coin... really nice
    would you like to trade... mine has some re-punched 'things'....
  • Options

<< <i>all depends when it was graded (year) AND what the other side looks like.
    this obv I think could make AU50 IF Brian or Scott (ICCS) have a good day...most certainly better than my coin... really nice
    would you like to trade... mine has some re-punched 'things'.... >>

It's my opinion that ICCS puts far too much emphasis on the obverse when grading and not that much on the reverse.