Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you consider yourself a professional numismatist?

Someone asked me the other day what my profession is. I told them that while I work at a bank my true profession is that of numismatics.

What do you think? Who out there would/have responded in the same fashion? image


Edited to say that I know there are dealers/graders/etc out there but I am asking you to think beyond even that occupation. I know some dealers that dont collect or study coins so if I were to ask them what their profession is they very well might say something other than numismatics.
Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    <<Do you consider yourself a professional numismatist?>>

    Only when I'm buying from another dealer. For some reason, when I'm selling, I'm told that nothing is actually the same grade or worth what I paid for it...

    image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in the least.
    I'm an enthusiastic collector with a wife who is much too understanding.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope,
    It's just a hobby and I've got a day job......
    I think the guy in one of the local coin shops has got the greatest job in the world though.....It's a delusional pipe dream I'm sure.......image

    Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Professional pauper-serf numismatist. image

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider myself intermediate, especially with ancients.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, not in the least bit. its just a hobby but i wont take a beating either
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Professional to me implies that you are supporting yourself and perhaps a family with your income, so no.

    I might be inclined to believe that my expertise in certain areas of numismatics puts me at least on par with professionals, in those areas.

    And some years have been very good to me, profit-wise, but all that seems to be doing lately is balancing the scales.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way I learn something new about coin collecting almost every day.
    image
  • Options
    I am a newb or noob or newbie coin collector. While I have collected for years, I don't know anything.

    I am hoping to get adopted by one of the richer numismatists on this forum. But slim chance getting adopted being 33ish. Maybe LindeDad will adopt me.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    No......
    Becky
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>No way I learn something new about coin collecting almost every day.
    image >>



    That's the answer to this question! Are you an expert? image
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Professional to me implies that you are supporting yourself and perhaps a family with your income >>



    Good point; I guess it depends on your definition. I cannot support myself financially but, at least for me, it is the one thing I am pretty good at. You can be a professional model car builder but not be able to do it as your job.

    If I could guarantee myself health insurance and other benefits I could see myself branching out into being a dealer...its my 'winning the lottery' pie in the sky dream. image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would probably say that I am a prolific numismatist, rather than professional image

    Horder maybe?.........ahhhh, professional prolific numismatistimageimage



  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a solid newbie numismatist with knowledge advancing toward intermediate in certain areas.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a hobby !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, even tho I've done quite well
  • Options
    Not until I can consistently pronounce it correctly in polite conversations!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please define the term "professional numismatist".
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I am just a dilletante.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    No, I don't.
    The word "professional" connotes that someone makes a living from that profession. Like a lawyer or a doctor or a banker. So no, my buying and selling is not my primary support. I'm GOOD at it in my small way but it is in no way a profession.

  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more like an amateur coin geek who prefers playing the guitar over metal roofing, now that the kids are gone.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While my coin business is an income source it is not the only one. Beyond that I don't worry about labels. I have a graduate degree and work in financial but have no desire to go around coin shows promoting myself as some numismatic professional except maintaining proper professionalism and courtesy with other dealers and customers. While I consider my skills in the business as good or better than most my idea of a successful show is having fun and achieving my show goals of acquisition, sales, and ROI.

    I enjoy coins but am in the business to get a decent return on my inventory. I am not a long term holder of coins except maintaining a certain inventory level or bullion position. When sales slow, so does buying unless there is a deal worth acquiring then flipping. A strong cash position is critical in the business and one needs to maintain self control in avoiding being inventory rich and cash poor.
    Investor
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,784 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>For some reason, when I'm selling, I'm told that nothing is actually the same grade or worth what I paid for it... >>



    This is why collectors have made PCGS and NGC so popular and so successful.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Please define the term "professional numismatist". >>




    participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Please define the term "professional numismatist". >>




    participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs >>


    In that case, no...not even a little bit.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    no
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amateur numismatist

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just a collector
  • Options
    Ok... I'll bite....... yes.


    But would like to add caveat. Numismatist is a term (like Doctor) if you are a doctor, you are a doctor. A brain surgeon, might not be very qualified to deliver babies, and visa-versa.

    So being a Numismatist, doesn't make you an expert in the entire field.

    My only job is working with coins (no "day job"). This is my day job, night job, weekend job... 100 hour a week job.

    I'm Just Sayin"


    http://www.coinshop.com
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At one time, yes (for about 4 years), but not any longer; just an avid collector.

    Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 1 coin. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Some self introspection is needed..........

    I collect coins, some paper money, a few tokens, but never any medals. I have not written, and my research is limited to provenance and pricing.
    I am no longer employed in any business or trade, and buying and selling rare classic coins are my only productive endeavor. I am certainly not
    an expert in grading coins, and my only training is over 20 years looking and learning.

    So, I would call myself semi-pro. A pro, IMO, would need to write, research, buy,or sell on a full time basis.

    TahoeDale
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Yes , because the 2nd definition is one who collects coins


    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/numismatist
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I'm a professional at is "pinching pennies"! image
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file