Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why hasn't there been a post about Adam Greenberg?

And how incredibly stupid this all is?
Matt's Card Page
What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    should we all wish him Good Yontiff? image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I was just about to post on this. How exactly is this "incredibly stupid"? I think it's a very cool story. The Marlins stink, and they're doing a very nice thing for a kid that took the only pitch he ever saw in the big leagues straight to the back of the head.

7 years after beaning, Greenberg to step in for the Marlins
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    have you checked the sports TALK forum?
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that's incredibly stupid is this post. I think it's an awesome story.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    There's a great book called Once Around The Bases that tells the story of MANY ex MLB players who only had one at-bat.
  • Options
    Well the Marlins 40 man roster is full... so they will have to DFA someone to get Greenberg on their roster. But lets not worry about that guy's dream. Just so Greenberg gets another AB....err rather plate appearance.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Do you think we'll see any uptick in his card sales? Several of his commons can be had for $.18 on Sportlots.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's a great book called Once Around The Bases that tells the story of MANY ex MLB players who only had one at-bat. >>

Greenberg did have one AB in the majors back in 2005....He was "hit by pitch" and is in the record book as such....

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Well the Marlins 40 man roster is full... so they will have to DFA someone to get Greenberg on their roster. But lets not worry about that guy's dream. Just so Greenberg gets another AB....err rather plate appearance. >>

please - it's one AB in a meaningless Marlins season. One at bat isn't going to derail the dream of one of the other prospects on the 40-man roster.
  • Options
    Someone has to be designated for assignment to get Greenberg on the 40 man. They could let him play everyday for the rest of the year that's not the issue. The issue is removing a player on the 40 man roster that EARNED that spot for someone that has not. That's where my issue is. This is silly PR stunt by Jeff Loria to drum up interest in his team that spent record amounts this past off season and announced earlier in the week they are slashing payroll next year.

Why didn't the Cubs do this?? They are in 40 man roster hell and have a ton of decisions facing their roster in about a week.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options

<< <i>Someone has to be designated for assignment to get Greenberg on the 40 man. They could let him play everyday for the rest of the year that's not the issue. The issue is removing a player on the 40 man roster that EARNED that spot for someone that has not. That's where my issue is. This is silly PR stunt by Jeff Loria to drum up interest in his team that spent record amounts this past off season and announced earlier in the week they are slashing payroll next year.

Why didn't the Cubs do this?? They are in 40 man roster hell and have a ton of decisions facing their roster in about a week. >>

Matt, I get what you you're saying, and agree with you... to a point. Yes, it's a publicity stunt, and yes, the Cubs should have stepped up in the first place. Yes, some guy has to be taken off the 40-man for a day. So park the guy in a hotel for the afternoon, Greenberg gets his moment, and the guy gets put back on the 40-man the next day. Not seeing what the big deal is here. I mean, who says that one guy was gonna get an AB on that day in the first place?
  • Options

<< <i>So park the guy in a hotel for the afternoon, Greenberg gets his moment, and the guy gets put back on the 40-man the next day. Not seeing what the big deal is here. I mean, who says that one guy was gonna get an AB on that day in the first place? >>

It's not that simple. That player has to be run through waivers if he's claimed then he goes to another team. If he's not claimed then the Marlins have 10 days to outright him, release him, trade him. Depending on the player and his service time he can refuse the assignment. He might just become a minor league free agent. The player this happens to is probably a fringe player at best, but still his chance will be stunted so Greenberg...who mind you wasn't good enough in 2006...2007....2008...2009 to get a call up, can finally get an official AB.

To the card angle I wonder if his auto is worth buying for an immediate flip. Probably not worth it.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    Or, Selig gives the Marlins permisson to have him sign the 1 day contract without having to remove someone off the 40 man.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    To the OP -maybe this will ease your mind a bit.

"The Marlins received approval from MLB commissioner Bud Selig to give Greenberg a plate appearance next week." (ESPN article)

It is very possible Sir Bud granted an exemption of the 40 man roster to allow this to happen. Even is he didn't grant an exemption the Marlins could identify a handful of minor leaguers they were going to dump from the 40 man roster this winter anyway. Since the minor league seasons are over what's the difference dumping someone now or later?

I think the point of the entire situation is that it is ok to have a heart. This is a feel good story (at least for most). As for the Marlins stepping up to make this happen it was one of their pitchers who hit the guy in the head.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So park the guy in a hotel for the afternoon, Greenberg gets his moment, and the guy gets put back on the 40-man the next day. Not seeing what the big deal is here. I mean, who says that one guy was gonna get an AB on that day in the first place? >>

It's not that simple. That player has to be run through waivers if he's claimed then he goes to another team. If he's not claimed then the Marlins have 10 days to outright him, release him, trade him. Depending on the player and his service time he can refuse the assignment. He might just become a minor league free agent. The player this happens to is probably a fringe player at best, but still his chance will be stunted so Greenberg...who mind you wasn't good enough in 2006...2007....2008...2009 to get a call up, can finally get an official AB.

To the card angle I wonder if his auto is worth buying for an immediate flip. Probably not worth it. >>

Incorrect. Most of the who you call "fringe" players have built in exceptions to their contract that allow them to be removed from the 40 man a certain amount of times. Only when the organization's allotment is up does the player go through the process you described. There are many other options as well: placing someone on the DL, releasing someone to personal leave, getting an exception from MLB. I also strongly disagree with your "stunted growth" argument but being that is just opinion you are entitled to it and could even be right.
  • Options
    My mind was never upset, but thanks for checking. I do like that a little bit better since no one is likely to lose their job over this, but I'd love to know what the other teams think of this. Why can't the Astros add Roger Clemens for one last start? Maybe Garth Brooks and Chris Gains can get into games for the Padres. Once the White Sox choke away their playoff chances maybe they can Michael Jordan. Why is this guy so special?

It is a publicity stunt. Jeffrey Loria doesn't have a heart. See Expos, Montreal.

*fixing sloppy grammar

Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Players on the 60-day DL do not count toward the 40-man roster.
    Justin Ruggiano just got injured last week and will be out for the rest of the season.
    Putting him on the 60-day DL opens a free spot for Greenberg.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    He's also donating the $3,000 one-day salary to the Florida Marlins’s foundation, which will donate it to an organization that studies the effects of brain trauma in athletes. What jerks Adam Greenburg and the Florida Marlins are...
  • Options

<< <i>He's also donating the $3,000 one-day salary to the Florida Marlins’s foundation, which will donate it to an organization that studies the effects of brain trauma in athletes. What jerks Adam Greenburg and the Florida Marlins are... >>

I never said that. In fact I really don't put any of this on the player. He didn't ask for any of it - the documentary, the online petition, etc. It's great that the money is going to charity. I still think it's a shameless plug by a spineless owner. But I'm also cynical so there's that.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    I still think it's a shameless plug by a spineless owner

Thats a very heartless comment I think. This is an awesome story. At this point, the Marlins have NOTHING to gain by this except giving someone there dream and making it a reality. Im from Miami and Im going to this game. It will be emotional for me seeing him up there after knowing his story. I will be standing up and rooting for Mr. Greenberg.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather see them pick a random season ticket holder, and if they were able to pass a baseball physical, allow them to get an at bat. Greenberg already had his chance. Give a random fan a chance if you are going to make a mockery of the game and of the players that have worked and earned their way.

Matt, it must just be we Rangers fans that are heartless. 40 years of losing tends to do that to a person, LOL

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    But he did earn his shot, has been playing baseball in the minors ever since, and is getting this opportunity by the team that beaned him in the first place. How anyone could find negative in this situation just blows my mind. Good for the fans, good for baseball, good for Adam Greenburg. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.
  • Options
    Greenberg already had his chance

Seriously Mike?

Greenberg "Blowing" His Chance
  • Options

<< <i>There's a great book called Once Around The Bases that tells the story of MANY ex MLB players who only had one at-bat. >>

Thanks you, im buying this tomarrow. It sounds awesome.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options

<< <i>But he did earn his shot, has been playing baseball in the minors ever since, and is getting this opportunity by the team that beaned him in the first place. How anyone could find negative in this situation just blows my mind. Good for the fans, good for baseball, good for Adam Greenburg. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. >>

Jeff,

I don't think saying we don't like it on a message board is punishing them for a "good" deed. Im not going to withhold the purchase of a Florida ticket, or not purchase Florida garments, etc because they made this decision. As a matter of fact, since he's getting this gift opportunity, I hope he takes full advantage of it and whacks a homer. Just too much Bill Veeck-ish for me in this day and age.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

Greenberg did have one AB in the majors back in 2005....He was "hit by pitch" and is in the record book as such....

IMF >>

No, a HBP is a plate-appearance, but it is not an at-bat.
  • Options

<< <i> Greenberg already had his chance

Seriously Mike?

Greenberg "Blowing" His Chance >>

Yes Foo, seriously. I never said "blowing" his chance unless my iPad autocorrect did that. I said he "had his chance.". Big difference. I'm not talking about one random major league at bat. He had his chance to live the major league experience, even if for a brief period of time, that many minor leaguers NEVER get to experience. Some because of talent or lack thereof, some because of baseball politics, some because of random injury or a myriad of other things. He got to share the joy of getting called up to the bigs with his family and friends. He gets to refer to himself for the rest of his life as a former big league ballplayer. He has a unique story to share. He had his own baseball cards. He had his chance

• Options
    Got to say I'm torn on this. Watched his interview on MLB Network today.

I saw plenty of guys that were no doubt major league talents never get there because of injury in the minors. It's never fair. My best friend quit baseball after finding he wife all but dead on the floor when he returned home one night during the off season. He was on the 40 man and on his way to the majors, but he sacrificed his career for her. That is a tragedy.

Greenburg got there. More than most can say.

I do think it has haunted him so to speak and hope it gives him some closure from his life as a ballplayer, but there are hundreds / thousands that should have got the second chance but didn't.

I think the rub is that he gets a chance over someone in AA or AAA who is better right now. Isn't that unfair to someone else in the Marlins organization?
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    First off I just want to say, it's nice to see a debate where we don't agree - even think each other opinions are extremely wrong - and there has been very little name calling. That's nice to see on this board.

Foo we've had 1 transaction on this board and it went perfect. I have no qualms with you. I think you're a great poster who brings a lot to this board. I appreciated you getting the Canseco autos for us.

I do have to question how you as a Marlin fan can think Loria is a good owner. While the end gesture may be nice, I think it has nothing to do with the fact a Marlins pitcher hit Greenberg and everything to do with a PR stunt. He came out earlier this week and said payroll was going to down by 15-25 million. Their payroll is just over $100 million. Cutting by $25 would be $75 million. They have $84 million already tied up to current players for 2013. He help bring about the demise of the Montreal Expos. Last week he called a former manager (Freddi Gonzalez) who just took a division rival to the playoffs classless because he said the truth. Loria also said Gonzalez was a colossal failure when he led a team with no financial backing to a .500+ record. I would say he's in the bottom 5 of MLB owners.

If you donate 1 million dollars to charity because it would help you get out of jail it doesn't make your donation any less great, but it makes the motives behind such clearly questionable. I think that's what we have here. The timing of the 2 announcements sure are fishy to me.

Greenberg is playing for Team Israel as they try to qualify for next year's WBC. So far he's had 1 plate appearance. Ironically, he walked - no official PA.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options

<< <i>If you donate 1 million dollars to charity because it would help you get out of jail it doesn't make your donation any less great, but it makes the motives behind such clearly questionable. >>

Sounds familiar... who donates millions of dollars to charity with questionable motives... the name is slipping my mind right now.

Oh well, carry on! image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm betting you were no fan of eddie gaedel either..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm betting you were no fan of eddie gaedel either.. >>

He made it onto the short list... HAYOOOOO!! image
  • Options
    Thanks Matt. I'm not a huge fan of the Marlins. I think they need a lot or work but I just support my home team - although they stink. I agree with you that I don't really care to much for Loria however.

And Mike, you are correct. Your iPad never auto corrected you lol. Although I still disagree with your reasoning - I misquoted you. I'm sorry.

Since Im going to the last 3 games of the Season for the Marlins (all against the Mets image) - Greenberg is playing the 2nd day in the last inning I think I read correctly and I will record his at bat and post it here for all to see. I'm sure its something he has been replaying in his mind every single day since. The big "What If" and I truly hope he doesn't strike out. Ill even take a walk.
  • Options
    I hope he receives three giant meatballs! image

• Options
    it's about closure.

baseball gives Mr. Greenberg an opportunity to walk away from the chalk lines on his own terms, without being helped to his feet and treated like an outpatient.

he knows his future in MLB is now. and it will be in the past come the first week of October.

and yes it's all about good PR, which the sport desperately needs.
  • Options

<< <i>it's about closure.

baseball gives Mr. Greenberg an opportunity to walk away from the chalk lines on his own terms, without being helped to his feet and treated like an outpatient.

he knows his future in MLB is now. and it will be in the past come the first week of October.

and yes it's all about good PR, which the sport desperately needs. >>

every time Jeff posts, I get smarter. I'm almost back to balanced after getting waylaid by 10 minutes of Toddlers & Tiaras the other night.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    If the rotation stays the same, I think he'll be facing RA Dickey on Oct 2...
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    there goes your lifetime on-base percentage. good for him, swinging at butterflies. image
  • Options
    I'm at the game now. The crowd went crazy. He struck out. Seems like he just really wanted to hit the ball. Look really wet behind the ears up there compared to all the other guys but you know what, he went for hit. Marlins are up with a 2-0 lead against the mets. Hopefully we will continue to be in the lead and they'll give him "one more at bat" lol
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball