Options

Sold

Thanks

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    pm sent
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1859 S.H. Black Electrotyper token (resembles Large Cent design crudely executed)......$25 >>

Your token is a Miller-NY-63 variety and this particular variety was missing in Q David Bowers collection.

Some more info =

Obverse: S.H. BLACK, ELECTROTYPER & GILDER around 1859 below.

Reverse: MEDALS, CARDS & C. TO ORDER around central wreath, 410 / BROADWAY / N.Y. on three lines within. 29mm Diameter, Plain edge.

Head of Liberty to left and remarkably similar in appearance to the federal large cents of 1839-1857.

Copper on lead electrotype.

This token, made only in electrotype form (and not a copy of a struck token), was very well known in its era, indeed famous in numismatic circles.

Samuel Black was a popular electrotyper before the Civil War and these tokens were a demonstration of his trade.

The same firm also made interesting electrotype novelties, such as plaques and platters incorporating designs taken from medals of George Washington.

His store cards seems to be an attempt to keep the large cent series alive as the government ceased production of the large cents in 1857, with Black issuing his tokens each year of 1858 thru 1861.

His tokens were made of lead with an electrolytically fused layer of copper.

The tokens of these 4 years provide an trail of the 5 addresses and his brief partnership with Friend.

His business disappears from the New York directories after 1861.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, Broadstruck!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info, Broadstruck! >>

Your welcome it's just info I had on hand as I recently sold one myself and did extensive research.

A few additional things...

As these are soft lead the different varieties are condition census at XF.

It's also nearly impossible to locate these will all the cooper intact except on the high points as on most it has flaked off in sections.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!