Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 9 and PSA 10 recent selling prices on EBAY....

In the past few months I kept seeing higher and higher prices paid on EBAY for these cards and others chimed in about prices they were seeing off EBAY.

It appears in the past few weeks something has happened and the prices are coming back down to earth.

Anyone have any thoughts on what is going on with these cards?

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Rumor has it that MIKE is joining WWE.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I think the reason why the PSA 10 Jordans were going for over 10k was because there was none on ebay for a while then when the first one that came on went for over 10k then everybody started listing them. IT will always be an expensive card it is the most popular sports card in the world . Even people that know nothing about cards know what the 86 fleer Jordan is .
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 10 425

PSA 10 425

Interesting to see the same card close within $0.99 of each other a few weeks apart.

PSA 10 Jordan

And yet another one from the same seller finishes at the exact same price.

There are a few others within $200 of these. Talk about a liquid card.

• Options
    RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    Both impressive specimens I might add
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    This one is a head-scratcher:

link to eBay auction
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 9 O/C with 3 touched corners, if my eyes do not deceive me.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>This one is a head-scratcher:

link to eBay auction >>

Ouch! You could find a clean 8 that looks better and save more than $1000 to boot. This is a case of someone buying the holder and not the card.
  • Options
    Wax Box

Nice to see one of these up and running. With the cards from the set sky rocketing in recent months you have to think this will do well.

Obviously we debated unopened prices during the steep run up last year but with high grade examples literally tripling from this set in the past few years the risk reward for a pack ripper has improved and obviously enhances the true value of a box.

There are not many collectors out there that will rip something like this but the fundamentals have clearly improved and this is solid gold in the hobby.

I am looking forward to seeing the final price.

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Group rip?
  • Options
    I say at least $30k.
  • Options

<< <i>I say at least $30k. >>

Any idea what they have been changing hands for? I thought I recall there were sales in the low to mid 30's and that was prior to the cards moving up so much.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Any idea what they have been changing hands for? I thought I recall there were sales in the low to mid 30's and that was prior to the cards moving up so much. >>

I believe you are correct. The unopened market seems to have cooled and even backed up a little in the last 6-12 months though, so if it holds at $30k range then that is actually a pretty strong number.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

Any idea what they have been changing hands for? I thought I recall there were sales in the low to mid 30's and that was prior to the cards moving up so much. >>

One sold for $27.6k at auction at beginning of this year.
  • Options

<< <i>

link to eBay auction >>

Ouch! You could find a clean 8 that looks better and save more than $1000 to boot. This is a case of someone buying the holder and not the card. >>

How it sits in the holder is making it look much worse than it is. Plus, it appears, there are a lot of scratches on the case. The front of card itself looks well within spec for a PSA 9 to me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

One sold for $27.6k at auction at beginning of this year. >>

Graded wax packs have been going for $630-$720. That'd put this box, on average, at $24,300. With the premium that comes with a BBCE box I'd say $27,500 is the likely ceiling here. If it was FASC, I'd put it more at $29,500.

It's a prize piece for anyone, and for some, at any price. We could see something spectacular happen here.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    As suggested by others, with the prices that the 10s are now commanding, someone with deep pockets and some big cajones can definitely take a chance with ripping an 86 fleer hoops box now. risk/reward has moved much in favor of the ripper.

I would be up for a pack or two if we could get a group together for a purchase under 30k on an unsearched box. Would need to have someone stream the opening of the box on the web where slot/packs from the box are immediately put into pre-addressed packages for the participants then sealed and shipped out. Perhaps something like top left group of 9 packs are 1-9, then next row is 10-18, bottom left is 11-27 and bottom right are slots 28-36. Would be fun and probably a better return on your "investment"
    then taking $700=$900 to vegas.

what a fun hobby.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    i do know a major seller that has sold a few over the past year.....tells me he's getting 30k a box ....tho i don't know his arrangement or history with his particular buyer(s)..if he's giving him a discount (friend, frequent buyer etc?)..i think 30k is a solid fair number

now....this was not to long ago but also when jordan 9s were 2500-3000......now with them at mid 3's and even in the high 4s now and then i would think the value has increased...and 10s escalating.....(also entire high grade sets and indiv cards being sought after)....wouldnt be surprised to see 32-35k....id still be a buyer at 30k for a decent box
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

link to eBay auction >>

Ouch! You could find a clean 8 that looks better and save more than $1000 to boot. This is a case of someone buying the holder and not the card. >>

How it sits in the holder is making it look much worse than it is. Plus, it appears, there are a lot of scratches on the case. The front of card itself looks well within spec for a PSA 9 to me. >>

I am not looking at how it's sitting in the holder. I am looking at horrible left to right centering, and the red print dot in front of his face. If I am tossing out that kind of coin, it's going to have to be for a solid 9. This one doesn't fit the bill for me.
  • Options
    I am now more confident that my card may grade a straight 8 if that's 9 centering.
  • Options

<< <i>As suggested by others, with the prices that the 10s are now commanding, someone with deep pockets and some big cajones can definitely take a chance with ripping an 86 fleer hoops box now. risk/reward has moved much in favor of the ripper.

I would be up for a pack or two if we could get a group together for a purchase under 30k on an unsearched box. Would need to have someone stream the opening of the box on the web where slot/packs from the box are immediately put into pre-addressed packages for the participants then sealed and shipped out. Perhaps something like top left group of 9 packs are 1-9, then next row is 10-18, bottom left is 11-27 and bottom right are slots 28-36. Would be fun and probably a better return on your "investment"
    then taking $700=$900 to vegas.

what a fun hobby. >>

I hear one of the board members here, I think Steve is his name, may have a clean box that he is willing to part with for $34K or so. image
  • Options
    With the 19% buyers premium the current bid is $30,090.34

There is 13 days and 14 hours left so you would have to think a few more bids come in.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

link to eBay auction >>

How it sits in the holder is making it look much worse than it is. Plus, it appears, there are a lot of scratches on the case. The front of card itself looks well within spec for a PSA 9 to me. >>

I am not looking at how it's sitting in the holder. I am looking at horrible left to right centering, and the red print dot in front of his face. If I am tossing out that kind of coin, it's going to have to be for a solid 9. This one doesn't fit the bill for me. >>

Left to right centering is 58:42, which is even better than the spec for a PSA 9 (60/40 to 65/35). So, while you are entitled to your opinion, to call it horrible seems like hyperbole to me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

link to eBay auction >>

I am not looking at how it's sitting in the holder. I am looking at horrible left to right centering, and the red print dot in front of his face. If I am tossing out that kind of coin, it's going to have to be for a solid 9. This one doesn't fit the bill for me. >>

Left to right centering is 58:42, which is even better than the spec for a PSA 9 (60/40 to 65/35). So, while you are entitled to your opinion, to call it horrible seems like hyperbole to me. >>

Not one bit of hyperbole. It's an ugly 9 any way you want to shake it. I would rather find a clean and centered 8 and save the difference if that's the best I could do on a 9.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

link to eBay auction >>

Left to right centering is 58:42, which is even better than the spec for a PSA 9 (60/40 to 65/35). So, while you are entitled to your opinion, to call it horrible seems like hyperbole to me. >>

Not one bit of hyperbole. It's an ugly 9 any way you want to shake it. I would rather find a clean and centered 8 and save the difference if that's the best I could do on a 9. >>

You said it has "horrible left to right centering." According to PSA guidelines it has centering better than that required for a PSA 9.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

link to eBay auction >>

Not one bit of hyperbole. It's an ugly 9 any way you want to shake it. I would rather find a clean and centered 8 and save the difference if that's the best I could do on a 9. >>

You said it has "horrible left to right centering." According to PSA guidelines it has centering better than that required for a PSA 9. >>

Yes I did say that the centering is horrible, because it is. I don't care what the guidelines are if the card does not have good eye appeal for the grade. Different strokes.
  • Options
    Some fresh bids have come in.

$33,065.34

Anyone know what a record selling price would be on this box?

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some fresh bids have come in.

$33,065.34

Anyone know what a record selling price would be on this box? >>

The last public sale on a 86/87 Fleer BBCE box was $30,000 at the National last year...haven't seen one sell for more than that, so this is a new high.