Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Royal Canadian Mint messing up like US Mint did

So as some of you know, the Canadian Mint will no longer be producing the 1 cent coin any longer, and to commemmorate this, they are making a bunch of "Farewell to the Penny" coins, sets, etc. One of those commems is a 5 coin set that is 99.99% silver, with one example of each design of the 1 cent coin since its inception in 1908.

Problem is, they are limiting the mintage to 5000 sets, but allowing 3 sets per household. The set just went on sale to the public today, and it isn't even available any more. There were pre-orders for Masters Club members (those who spent more that $1000 in the past year), and it seems this set sold out in that pre-order period.

Come on RC mint, 3 orders per household on a set that you're only making 5000?

Mark

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, people just want to reward their loyal customers.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps for the benifit of 1667 lucky insiders

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes, people just want to reward their loyal customers. >>

Irritating tens or even hundreds of thousands of customers to please the dealers/already high volume buyers seems like a major gaffe to me.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you really think that it is sold out? it is a $$$ maker... they will; bring more.....
    and , how many do you think went overseas and to Canadian dealers ??
    5K only??? think again.....
    and anyway.. who wants it???
    definitely not a real collector of numismatic coins...
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    clicked once only, but came up 2 time..
    something is wrong with the site lately
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hilarious to read this after reading comments on the Franklin Mint thread ...

- will never circulate
    - small mintage
    - touted by RCM as highly collectible, obvious sales tactics at play not dissimilar from QVC

Does this diminish the integrity of RCM? or the numismatic value of the product? I bet the public majority would say "no"

Fortunately for me I do not collect these.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinboynyccoinboynyc Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    Based on the pictures I've seen and some of the comments on the Royal Canadian Mint's own product page, the set itself is messed up.

1) All of the coins are the size of the current small cent. Even the designs that were issued as large cents.

2) On all of the coins, the denomination is expressed as "1 CENT," even on the large cents where the denomination was spelled out as "ONE."

Let's Go Mets!