Home Sports Talk

has any team,

in any sport, in any game, ever, gotten screwed as badly as the Packers just got screwed?

Note that I had no money on the game, it didn't affect any of my fantasy football outcomes, I'm not a Packers fan, and I'm not a Seahawks fan. I'm looking at this from a completely neutral perspective.
'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
*Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA

Comments

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    SBXL
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SBXL >>

+1

And that was the Super Bowl...

Can't see the NFL going on much longer with this, though. Just give them what they want already--you got all the $$!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just goes to show how greedy the NFL is, I mean seriously? The fact that they are allowing the integrity of the game be compromised this bad is just absurd.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Of course they have. I'm sure there are plenty of examples but I will just point to the tuck rule in the Raiders-Patriots playoff game back in 2002.>>>

I think the OP was talking about games where the refs DIDN'T enfore a rule correctly.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I'll always remember this one...Seahawks were involved in this one, too:

Jets Seahawks

Also, as the article mentions, Pittsburgh at Detroit on Thanksgiving...the coin flip flap. The Jay Cutler/Philip Rivers battle a few years ago where Hochuli (a regular and revered ref) screwed up royally.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    That Olympic basketball final between US and USSR back in the 70's, where even to this day, the US has refused to ever even accept the Silver Medals.

Come to think of it--hundreds of boxing matches Olympic and professional have had the stink of "whack" judging by the officials--resulting in many controversial decisions, robbing the ones who earned the wins.

Just a sad fact of judging and officiating. This past week in the NFL was a doozy in that regard.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

• << <i>in any sport, in any game, ever, gotten screwed as badly as the Packers just got screwed? >>

The Sabres got robbed when Brett Hull scored a goal with his foot in the crease in the finals. However, there's a 50% chance that they would have lost the game even without that bad call. Although it wasn't in the playoffs, the bad call last night actually cost Green Bay a W.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, as the article mentions, Pittsburgh at Detroit on Thanksgiving...the coin flip flap. >>

No, no, no, a thousand times no. For all the grief he's gotten, Phil Luckett got that call absolutely right. Listen to the audio - Jerome Bettis clearly says BOTH heads and tails, trying to be sneaky. Luckett nailed it. I thought so at the time and watching the video a million times since then has only confirmed my belief.

But, yeah, as far as screwjobs go, this one is definitely behind the '72 Olympic debacle. There's also the Eric Gregg 5-foot-wide-home-plate umpiring against the Braves in the playoffs. And, yeah, Super Bowl 40.

Tabe
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The call against the Pirates last year at home plate in extra innings was brutal. The Pirates never recovered from that. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    a +1 for the Superbowl XL and a +1 for the Olympic Basketball gold medal game.

...@ Paul "The fact that they are allowing the integrity of the game be compromised this bad is just absurd."

-Pete Carroll would never agree with this fact as long as he is on the right side of a bad call.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Packers were hosed by the rent-a-refs.....and the US were hosed by the refs in the 72 games.

And in 1979 SB13 there was a horrible call that cost Dallas the game against the Steelers.

It was late in the game (4th qt) Pittsburgh 3rd and long. Bradshaw throws to Swan who is covered by Cliff Harris. Harris has the inside track on Swan and Swan runs up Harris's back and falls down. Flags fly and I'm thinking great..... offensive pass interference!

WRONG!!!! Pass interference on Harris.......I guess he was supposed to get out of the way!!!!! This call was as bad as the GB call. Anyway the Steelers got to keep the ball and scored on several more plays.

SEVEN POINTS GIVEN TO THEM BY THE REFS. Dallas loose's by 4..........you do the math!!!!!!!!!!image
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cardinals/Royals WS. Denkinger blown call.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Any game where the outcome was changed is really the same size in screw job in the end. A seemingly small call that changes the outcome has the same consequence as a completely fixed game. It turns a win to a loss.

I see the whole game last night as a joke. The last call was just the most media friendly bad call I've seen in years. It crowned the winner of what was ultimately a fake game. But if the last call were corrected, I would not be satisfied with a Packers win. It wasn't even football. No one deserved a win or a loss after that.

Either way, I'm glad this happened in the fashion that will probably get the real guys back. But games have been ruined all over the place.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '75 NFC Championship game, Cowboy receiver pushes Viking DB to the ground from behind and catches the game winning TD pass as time runs out. I'll never forget Paul Krause (Vikes safety) running over pointing to the cornerback on the ground looking at the ref in disbelief.

Also NFC Championship game Vikings Saints a couple of years ago Saints hit Favre with so many cheap shots refs didn't have the seeds to call them all. Horrible game by the refs.

Bad calls are a part of the game.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    A couple buddies and I went to the 1993 season finale against the Rockets and Spurs in San Antonio. We were up 2 and AFTER time expired, Robinson tipped in a basket, which took us to OT and we lost. The loss knocked our seeding down and instead of hosting the 2nd round series against Seattle, they had home court and squeaked out a game 7 victory in double or triple OT.

In '93, we were better than PHX and Vernon Maxwell could guard MJ better than *anyone* in the league.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple buddies and I went to the 1993 season finale against the Rockets and Spurs in San Antonio. We were up 2 and AFTER time expired, Robinson tipped in a basket, which took us to OT and we lost. The loss knocked our seeding down and instead of hosting the 2nd round series against Seattle, they had home court and squeaked out a game 7 victory in double or triple OT.

In '93, we were better than PHX and Vernon Maxwell could guard MJ better than *anyone* in the league. >>

Take a look at the ending of game 6 in the 1988 NBA Finals sometime. Or, heck, the entire 1988 NBA Finals.

Or the 2002 Western Conference finals with the Lakers and Sacramento Kings.

Tabe
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A couple buddies and I went to the 1993 season finale against the Rockets and Spurs in San Antonio. We were up 2 and AFTER time expired, Robinson tipped in a basket, which took us to OT and we lost. The loss knocked our seeding down and instead of hosting the 2nd round series against Seattle, they had home court and squeaked out a game 7 victory in double or triple OT.

In '93, we were better than PHX and Vernon Maxwell could guard MJ better than *anyone* in the league. >>

Take a look at the ending of game 6 in the 1988 NBA Finals sometime. Or, heck, the entire 1988 NBA Finals.

Or the 2002 Western Conference finals with the Lakers and Sacramento Kings.

Tabe >>

It all gets swept under the rug, along with Tim Donaghy.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts