Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Biafra pounds, medal rotation vs. coin rotation?!

So... I bought a couple raw Biafra pounds and had them slabbed PCGS Secure Plus. So they are definitely authentic. Both got MS64. Some of you saw my thread debating which to sell. One of you even bought it (thanks again!). Both of those had "coin rotation."

I completely forgot that fact last week when I purchased another, slabbed PCGS MS65, as an upgrade ... medal rotation! Not perfectly aligned, in fact I thought it was just a slight RR maybe 10º until I took out my MS64 and compared them side-by-side ...

Is the NEWP severe RR (like 170º)? or a totally different strike variety? Does anyone know? Do you have one to compare?

I haven't ruled out the possibility that it's counterfeit. Krause doesn't mention anything about a medal rotation variety vs. coin rotation variety. I know many of you folks routinely bash Krause for its errors and oversights but they've had over 40 years to discover this variety if it's authentic. Also, the grade doesn't seem to match IMHO. The strike is stronger, but some of the finer details aren't as clear / seem to have more wear than my MS64. It's an older holder, post OGH but pre Secure Plus. Do you think it could have slipped past the PCGS graders?
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Personal Opinion> I don't think the die rotation makes any difference in the value. My other one is about RR10 degrees also.It sure would not be the first time the TPC missed one though.image
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Your opinions are always much appreciated! But I'm more curious about rules regarding die rotations and varieties.

I did some looking online and all the ones I found are coin rotation with none or very slight RR. This is the only example I have found with medal rotation (or severe RR).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE