Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

foriegn coin question...

i have a jug of foriegn from 1900-1950.s . how do i know whats silver ? thnx dave

Comments

• Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    there is a show in Naugatuck tomorrow I'm sure one of the dealers there can help you if the jugs not to big. I'm in the Hartford area and would be happy to look at it for you if your're in the area.

Ken
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    Get a Krause Catalog (older edition will do just fine), look-up each coin you have, and it clearly states the composition of that coin.

Also, a silver coin is very distinct. Once you know what one looks like, you can almost unmistakably spot other silver pieces.
  • Options
    coin database

Thats a useful site for some european countries , there's few coins you can't identify using google , just type in what's on the coin and search.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    just type in what's on the coin and search.

Or just take some scans of coins you're not sure of and post them here. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to lend a hand.

Sounds like a really fun project you've got there.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Are you going to try and sell the silver? What about the rest of the coins? PM me if interested in selling. Thanks
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might find currencydebasement.com of use to you in determining which coins are silver. It lists most of the circulating silver types from the 20th century you're likely to find in a random jar of coinage.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)