Home Sports Talk
Options

Mets starting pitcher doesn't get anybody out

He gives up 7 runs in the first inning before recording an out, and he was yanked.
Has this ever happened before, where a pitcher is yanked in a non-injury related start without recording an out ?

Comments

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's happened many times. The one I readily recall was a 1989 game in which the first 8 Reds batters reached safely. The first 7 of those were against Astros starter Jim Clancy, who got yanked after batter number 7 without recording an out. The Reds went on to score something like 14 runs in that first inning, with 7 (I think) players getting 2 hits apiece.
    Brett
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Check out the Box Score for this game guys!

I was just looking at each at-bat. In the FIRST inning Johnny Damon had a Single, Double and a Triple!!!!

The first 11 batters reached safely and 19 Red Sox came up to bat in the FIRST inning.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>He gives up 7 runs in the first inning before recording an out, and he was yanked.
    Has this ever happened before, where a pitcher is yanked in a non-injury related start without recording an out ? >>

Many times. 1,241 times since 1918 a starting pitcher got nobody out (perhaps 10% or 20% were yanked due to injuries - just a guess). The most earned runs one of these pitchers gave up is 8.