Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Remembering the past

I remember years ago when the mercury gang posted something almost every day.

In fact someone said that they didn't collect mercury dimes but was impressed with all the FRIENDLY light hearted people collecting mercury dimes.

In fact some are still aroung but just not posting...

Red friday when all the upgreades took place..

Collectors helping other collectors find the needed dimes at a good price.

In fact I will always remember Joshua II giving me 2 mercury dimes to try to keep me in the top 20. What a great person ! and still is!!
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss it all quite a bit.

This was my second favorite forum on the entire net right after the US Coin Forum. Sometimes
    I wouldn't get done with it until my second cup of coffee but now I check it only a couple times
    a week. The merc guys really were the heart and soul but there was a lot going on besides just
    the mercs.

It might yet come back.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 2008, this was known as the MPL forum.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the dime and MPL got along together as well.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was part of the Merc crowd starting about 10 years ago. When I first posted the beginnings of my set, I was warmly greeted by the other "Mercateers". I enjoyed seeing photos of coins others had added to their sets, and critiquing them. It was like a support group for our addiction. The comraderie lessened as some of the "big" sets took over the Registry, and others sold their sets, or got bammed for comments made on the Forum. I got to where I needed only the '16-D and '21-P, and it has remained so for quite a few years. There were other sets where I felt I could get more bang for my buck. I now find myself going through coins purchased long ago to submit for grading and add to other sets. Completing sets is not as important to me now, but I like to be able to get closer to that goal as time and money permit.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember it well too. I remember when I first loaded my set one night in 2001 and the next morning I received a welcome email from Ken (Fairlaneman). It' sad that Ken and most of the other Mercateers hardly post or reply to post anymore.

My set (Jon and Linda's Mercury's) was number one in 2004. The the big boy's came in and that set was down to 24th last I looked. It was retired and sold to DLRC in 2005.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't given up on finishing my mercury dime set, but it will take longer than I expected to. This economy hit me hard. I opened up a full time B&M shop and the expenses are sooo big. been doing it for going on 5 years when does the fun part start?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    (evil grin) I remember giving you MercHeads a hard time! Fishing lures, tin foil coins...ect..ect. Oh... the good old days! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    fish lures......

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucy,
    you always added some class to the boards

Oldies, fast cars, and apple pie, alamerician stuff!!!

• Options
    LucyBop! It's good to see you're still around. Do you still have your Frankies?

Spooly, yeah, I remember you teasing us about our fishing lures, although I still haven't used Mercs for that.

Pat, owning a B&M is a lot of work. You must be enjoying it to have stuck with it for so long. I had a chance to take over an existing shop back around 1984, but I was well aware of the work it would take, and passed on it.

Interest in the MPL's was strong, but they were sort of the last gasp for this forum.

I first posted here when Washington quarters (1932-1964) were the rage. I completed my set, which I stiill have, and moved on to the Mercs after that. The Merc registry was a fun competition for a couple years. I just looked at the current rankings, and saw that Ken (Fairlaneman) is still there at #11, and even though he cannot post here anymore, he's ahead of me by 2 positions. The decline in interest is evident by there being just one set (out of 106) that's had a recent update.

I don't know if an economic turnaround would revitalize the Registry, but we can always hope!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options

<< <i>fish lures...... >>

It's great to see you.

Don't be a stranger.

I really miss the frankies. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    All great people on this forum
    Good to hear you again

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want the "last word." :0
    Doug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Great to see some of the old timers back on this thread. No reason to stop collecting Lincolns, Franklins, Merc dimes, Washington quarters or ANY series you love. No reason to stop posting here cause most of us check here from time to time and if you have something to say, there is a good bet that it will be on the first page for enough time so that others who are interested in the subject will see it and can respond. Steveimage
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Holy smokes!

Lucybop!!image >>

yeah, one person i havent seen in ages image its a good thing image
  • Options
    Great to see Lucy post.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    See......... I caught Lucybob with my merc bait! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

<< <i>See......... I caught Lucybob with my merc bait! image >>

I think you just got a nibble. It might take smoe frankies to get her back aboard. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>See......... I caught Lucybob with my merc bait! image >>

Hey Spooly do you still have the Fishing Lure picture? That was classic.

The Mercateer era was very enjoyable. When PCGS went to the new way of entering coins it all came to a end. Anyway all of the fun during the Mercateer era was one of the highlights of the collecting spree which I was in. I only wish that the collecting bug would have stuck with me longer. Many great friends were met even if it was through the internet.

Good Health to all and thier families that were involved.

Ken
  • Options
    Ken,

It's good to see you check in here. The Merc gang really was special in the early years of the Registry, and I enjoyed chatting with the other collectors of "fishing lures".

I hope you're enjoying your retirement, but don't be such a stranger. Who knows? Maybe the collecting bug will bite you again!

Jim
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, good to see Ken here again and Lucy Bop too!

Those were the good ole days.image
  • Options
    I still have my mercateer shirt image

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat:

Ironically I saw this thread right after I added a dime to my set (probably the first in two years). I was going to cackle that I would be catching up to you in about three or four decades. But then I saw where you upgraded several! No fair: I will never catch up! image

This thread, however, is a real classic. You brought up good memories of some years ago and also lured a few of the not-so-frequent-recently posters back to post. It would sure be nice if they kept up.
    Mark

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Pat,

Those were fun days, too bad there just isn't the same excitement.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of my old dime friends. I also miss the crowd of dime guys who posted here. Jon I remember when you first loaded your set, and told me that this was your second attempt, that you once had a complete dime set raw. You are turely the dime man. I miss Nick- onlyrooises, Paul, Dan, Mitch too!
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Mercs are cool image
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    I am planning to attend the FUN show.

Maybe just maybe I will be able to pick up a dime to fill a hole.

I don't know if I will ever complete the set, but I am going to try

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great to see some of the old timers back on this thread. No reason to stop collecting Lincolns, Franklins, Merc dimes, Washington quarters or ANY series you love. No reason to stop posting here cause most of us check here from time to time and if you have something to say, there is a good bet that it will be on the first page for enough time so that others who are interested in the subject will see it and can respond. Steveimage >>

And, there is no reason why PCGS Registry friends and even retired registry set owners can't post on this forum. Part of the fun of coin collecting is its history and I certainly enjoy reading about what we wrote about back then. Here is a thread I initiated back in 2007 about the Matte Proof Lincoln (MPL) cents. Enjoy! Steveimage
  • Options
    New name but member since 2001. Have not been active the last year or so. great to see some of the names I first meet back when I joined.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Member here since Nov 01
    Franklins
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully there will be a few of us at the PCGS luncheon Friday image)
    Doug
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread and a great trip down memory lane. If I recall, I was an associate member of the mercateer club?

Interesting, my last business strike mercury dime I bought was from Larry Shapiro a 1944 PCGS MS-67FB about 5 years ago.

i have started to buy up some slabbed proof mercury dimes because they have gotten so cheap.

I saw dpoole, PTVETTER, dimeman, keyman64 and others at 2013 FUN.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    image Thanks Pat for the "gadget"! I just checked out those "widgets" I picked up at Baltimore on coin facts. I will bring them to the show later this month, perhaps I should rent a armored truck?image
    A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • Options
    Vam44 I will see you there.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, LucyBop comes out of hiding.
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Hi..was gone for a couple of years and getting back to coins...this forum was always good for information and sources for coins..

Badger

Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    Huh.
    Regards,
    Dolan