Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My cob collection...what have I got !?

I thought I'd share these over here, a little group of cobs I swapped for last year...
I hadn't taken pics of them before or even looked at them with a loupe, but once i did I noticed a couple of things...the 4 real piece appears to be an overdate (confirmed I believe in a US forum thread...) and on a less pleasant note, flecks of green gunk. Is it time to break out the acetone ?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That holey piece is fascinating. I haven't the faintest notion of what the purpose there once was, nor do I know much about cobs specifically, but you're in the right place for more info, naturally. Cool stuff! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Images firewalled at work, but will take a look once i'm home (unless someone else jumps in).
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see... Looks like all struck under Felipe V.

Top - 171? 1 Real from Lima
    Left - 174? 2 Reales from Potosi
    Bottom - 1701-1747 1 Real from Potosi
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks 2K !
    My darkside collecting is driven by whims and lusts... very unorganised and uneducated I'm afraid, but deep down I know I'm a true darksider...now where are those cookies ??

And My Lordship, I thought of you actually when I picked that 4R up....a mint made holey ! How do you like that ?!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IS it mint made?

Regardless, I DO like it.

<< <i>My darkside collecting is driven by whims and lusts... very unorganised and uneducated I'm afraid, but deep down I know I'm a true darksider...now where are those cookies ?? >>

Welcome to the Unorganized Whims & Lusts Club. We have a lot of members.

Here. Have a cookie.

Like 'em? Made 'em myself. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>IS it mint made?

Regardless, I DO like it.

<< <i>

I don't have a Krause for the 18th cen. but I looked it up at the time I got these, there was a pic in there of a similar cob with the hole, I guess it was another way to get the planchet weight right...
    somehow missed the overdate, but that of course floats my boat...as I continue to collect various reale pieces, I think overdates would be a great focus.
  • Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 69 ✭✭✭
    the 4 reales is from Guatemala. Nice coin struck on a "Klippe" planchet using the new "pillar dollar" design dies. Nice coin and for the record, it does look like a 39/40 overdate and if it is that is a scarce overdate, usually unlisted in most reference guides. However it will be difficult to find a collector tht will pay a premium for the overdae with part of the last digit not complete. Great find and a good keeper. Holes are very common on those coins, weigh the coin and see how close it is to 13.5337 grms. From the shape that could be a "bubble in the planchet" and the coin may weigh in at full weight, in which case it came from the mint like that.
    Thanks Crazy8's,

I'll see if I can get it onto a scale soon. Do you have a ballpark on what the value might be ? And what about that green stuff ?