Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Gold in garbage.

Sometimes you just get a little reward for being a generalist collector who just collects
everything. One of my collections is a mint and proof set token collection. These are little
tokens in paper, plastic, aluminum, zinc, bronze etc etc that come with mint and proof sets
and usually contain the name of the mnint and year of issue. They can be elaborate or ex-
tremely simple.

I was throwing out some old detritus that I've accumulated over the years and setting aside
boxes that contain some sort of emblem or token. One of these was a 1989 Australian nug-
get proof set holder. This is a really nice wooden holder and I might have saved it but the
coins won't be worth more than gold value in the foreseeable future because gold has increased
so dramatically in value over the years. There was what looked like a gold plated medal embedded
in green felt on one side. At first I thought it might be just a foil gold on felt but in digging it
turned out to be quite thick. Incredibly it is not only quite thick but solid 9k gold!!! I'd imagine
hundreds if not thousands of these have already been discarded into the garbage stream. At
current prices it's worth more than half what I paid for the whoile five coin set.

...And just as good there's still a big brass "medal" to dig out of it. I wonder what's under it. image
Tempus fugit.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG, Sam!

And congratulations on your recent celebrity.

I had no idea about these medals, though I recently found some of the US Mint tokens from old proof sets in a "junk" lot I got.

<< <i>Sometimes you just get a little reward for being a generalist collector who just collects
    everything. >>

I'm not as true a generalist as you are, but I've long been very eclectic, as you know. It's one reason you and I "met" so long ago. You have been an influence on me several times. All those old pre-Internet pen pal letters from you made their mark. For one thing, I no longer scoff at modern coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I had no idea about these medals, though I recently found some of the US Mint tokens from old proof sets in a "junk" lot I got. >>

The real irony is that this token is really the crown jewel of the set token collection but
    the mintage of the token is 8000 and most were issued in a venue that they won't be
    discarded. It will be an exceedingly common token for hundreds of years probably while
    the rarities will be in plastic and paper.

There might never be more than a dozen collectors for gold with 3,000 survivors. This
    token is also a medal commemmorating the establishment of the Perth Mint and is in 9
    karat which is a little unusual. It is numbered and rectangular. It will get additional de-
    mand on these other bases when its existence is more widely known but supply might still
    swamp total demand.

It's an interesting piece but at the current time it's largely a hunk of gold.
    Tempus fugit.
    I was able to get the bronze plaque out of it without damage today. Unfortunately there was no rhodium
    or other precious metal hidden under it but it's a nice piece of exonumia by itself. It's .5" wide and about
    4.5" long. On the left is the Autralian coat of arms and centered above toward the right is "The Australian
    Nugget" in large letters with "1989 Proof Issue" in smaller letters below. It's a little thinner than a dime and
    should fit just right in the collection.

Tempus fugit.
    Oh! ...At the bottom of the page is a picture of this ~1oz medal;

Gold in the woodwork!
    Tempus fugit.

• << <i> This
    token is also a medal commemmorating the establishment of the Perth Mint and is in 9
    karat which is a little unusual. >>

Actually, in Australia, 9kt is the norm (along with 18kt for better quality jewelry). You never see 10 karat in Australia, unless it's been brought in by an American tourist or something.

9kt = 9/24 = 37.5% (marked 9kt or ".375")
    18kt 18/24 = 75% (marked 18kt or ".750")

<< <i>

<< <i> This
    karat which is a little unusual. >>

Actually, in Australia, 9kt is the norm (along with 18kt for better quality jewelry). You never see 10 karat in Australia, unless it's been brought in by an American tourist or something.

9kt = 9/24 = 37.5% (marked 9kt or ".375")
    18kt 18/24 = 75% (marked 18kt or ".750") >>

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of this. Of course preferences in gold purity vary from
    place to place.

I'm surprised this item isn't better identified on the reverse as being gold. Of course, by
    the time you can see the back you pretty much know that it's gold.

I soaked the bronze plaque in a mixture of solvents last night and was able to remove all
    the glue.

I have no regrets in the least and come out with a very nice gold set, free gold, and a nice
    scarce collectible but now I'm wondering if with the tiny mintage of this set if I shouldn't
    have saved the holder. All the coins are one year types and the mintage is only 2200 in PR.
    Australia is a mighty big country for a tiny mintage. Its economy has been booming and its
    location and natural resources are ideal for future growth. The population is finally getting
    high enough to efficiently utilize and capitalize on its strenghts.
    Tempus fugit.
    ...mebbe when your country is also a continent ya' can afford to throw away a little gold now and then. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score, Cladking!
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Let us know next time its trash day at your house!

Great save, literally!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!